"Reef caution fish"

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Beengirl said:
No. The wrasse doesn't hide at all. He buried himself for 1 day, and now he's front and center all the time. He does hide in the rocks to sleep, but most all of them do that. :) and carpenters wrasse are peaceful, some wrasses can be semi-aggressive. So it's all peace and love in my tank right now, no one is "in charge" right now. (Except me, of course-lol).

That's what I need then. Nobody arguing or eating things they shouldn't. Just everyone getting along in a peaceful tank :) there are plenty of fish out there that can create that environment, I'm just looking in the wrong place at the moment

I would also like to see evidence on this subject. The 6' tang rule is completely subjective and regurgitated arbitrary guidelines.

Reef Caution exists for many reasons and across a range of degrees. Personally, I seek out cautioned fish for the added variety.

MikeYQM said:
I would also like to see evidence on this subject. The 6' tang rule is completely subjective and regurgitated arbitrary guidelines.

Reef Caution exists for many reasons and across a range of degrees. Personally, I seek out cautioned fish for the added variety.

So you do have "reef caution" fish in your aquarium? How has it worked out for you?

So far so good, that could change but I'm confident. I look at these fish not as unsafe, but having a specific need that mat need to be met. It's not universal or guaranteed, but its how I roll.

It's a matter of education & identifying a need. One example is my Coral Beauty Angel - known to be one of the safer Pygmy Angels, which as a grazer, I keep well fed to diminish its need to pick at my corals. Really, much aggression we see is people feeding too little or believing incorrect sticking "guidelines".

My next addition will be a pair of mandarins that will be trained to eat prepared before going in the tank.

My final addition will be a Blue Throat Trigger, added small, last and ensuring plenty of caves for it to hide in.

Too many people just throw in a fish, don't accommodate it's needs then fire it back out once it causes trouble.

I have dwarf angels in all three of my reefs. I have a pygmy in one tank, flame in another, and then a bicolor. I have no issues with them intentionally eating corals. They do peck on the rocks and occasionally peck a coral by accident. The corals may close up for a bit but open back up. However, i do feed them frozen food with spirulina and other algae and some flake algae.

Some positive feedback then that's making me want to give it a try with a flame angel. I suppose I will never know if I don't try it for myself. Just got to keep them well fed and my corals will be left in tact fingers crossed lol

Back
Top Bottom