Reef Compatibility: Add with caution

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JoeA

Aquarium Advice Activist
Ok what exactly does this mean besides the obvious. I am interested in an aggressive tank but also have an interest in corals. Can I do both? Do most aggressive fish eat corals? Could you list a few aggressive fish that are reef safe?

What this means is that the fish has the potental to be a coral nipper/eater as well as consume other invertrabrits in your tank like shrimp, crabs or even urchins. For example dwarf angels could have this classification because some can be classified as coral nippers. Some dwarf angels can be kept in a reef with absolutly no problem where as another dwarf of the same specis wont stop munching on the exact same corals the other passed up.

Thats what the with caution means. Basicly since each fish has its own personality there is a potental for a problem either with corals or with the inverts often found with corals in a reef setup. Again you coudl have two tanks setup the exact same and have two fish of the same species that are classified with caution and one is a problem child and the other is a saint.

I ran into the same problem. I was planning on getting a trigger for my tank, but soon learned that these guys are aggressive, and not normally recommended for a reef setup. Do a lot of research before you buy anything, and make sure you have the propper system suited for their requirments (space, lighting , tankmates, etc.) Good luck!

aye, compatibility is one of the trickiest aspects to reef setups. it's not just fish, but crabs, anemones, corals....everything has to be taken into account.

Unfortunately, most aggressive fish are not reef safe. Some tang are exceptions, but Angels, Triggers, Wrasses, etc are a risk.

Almost every book I read has a bunch of
censored.gif
on fish compatibility. Ask your LFS manager for his opinions on certain fish, and a good return policy is a good thing if that trigger starts making a meal of your prized coral shrimp.

Lionfish are reef safe. I have a huge volitan in my reef and corals are safe. Shrimp arent tho..Snowflake eels are reef safe, although once again, inverts
would be fair game and the eel, as it gets bigger, would have the tendency to
disrupt the positioning of corals when it swims. I have had flame angels and a marine betta in my reef, with no problems with the corals. Those two fish would
be a 50/50 shot as to compatibility.

Back
Top Bottom