Reef compatible angelfish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

slitherbomb

Aquarium Advice Addict
I have a 40g breeder and so far only have a pair of clowns in it. I really want an angelfish in there, but this tank is going to be SPS dominated with a mix of other corals. Has anyone had an angelfish do well in a reef tank? Thanks.

I was asking the same question in my thread and so far nothing that has been suggested shows as reef safe. :-(

But I'm following here to see what comes up! lol

i have a multi color angelfish and hes been a model citizen im getting a bellus angelfish next when my lfs gets one for me should be sometime this week

hackteck said:
i have a multi color angelfish and hes been a model citizen im getting a bellus angelfish next when my lfs gets one for me should be sometime this week

What type of coral do you have? That angelfish is kinda expensive and that would be a disappointment to have one start nipping at my coral.

carey said:
I was asking the same question in my thread and so far nothing that has been suggested shows as reef safe. :-(

But I'm following here to see what comes up! lol

I'm following your thread as well! Lol

Gti_Leo said:
all the known reef safe ones require atleast a 125g the restare all with caution

I know but I'm trying to see if people are successful at keeping dwarf angelfish in reefs and which types.

I've had my coral beauty with corals for about six months now. He's really good with the corals. I saw him nip at my colt coral once but has not seemed interested since. No damage has ever been noticed. It'll be hit or miss though, I can't garuantee that one won't. But I don't think if they do nip, that they'll destroy your corals.

* I have shrooms, a large zoanthid colony, green star polyps, colt, torch and trumpet corals. Only ever saw him nip at the colt.

Sergie said:
I've had my coral beauty with corals for about six months now. He's really good with the corals. I saw him nip at my colt coral once but has not seemed interested since. No damage has ever been noticed. It'll be hit or miss though, I can't garuantee that one won't. But I don't think if they do nip, that they'll destroy your corals.

What do you feed it and how many times?

What type of coral do you have? That angelfish is kinda expensive and that would be a disappointment to have one start nipping at my coral.

all kinds lps mushrooms some sps hes never bothered any but of course i could just have that one good dwarf lol

The dwarf angels are hit and miss. That means one will be a perfect individual and never nip at the SPS, clam, etc. and another of the exact same species will eat everything including zoanthids.

Fishguy2727 said:
The dwarf angels are hit and miss. That means one will be a perfect individual and never nip at the SPS, clam, etc. and another of the exact same species will eat everything including zoanthids.

Yeah unfortunately. I'm just trying to see which angels people are keeping with reefs, so I can go for an angel of that species too to see if I can get lucky.

hackteck said:
all kinds lps mushrooms some sps hes never bothered any but of course i could just have that one good dwarf lol

How often do you feed it and what do you feed it? That could be the reason why he doesn't bother coral

All the the pygmy angels (centropyge sp.) are hit or miss with corals. The safest are genicanthus sp. angels, but they need a tank condiserably larger than a 40.
Genicanthus

ccCapt said:
All the the pygmy angels (centropyge sp.) are hit or miss with corals. The safest are genicanthus sp. angels, but they need a tank condiserably larger than a 40.
Genicanthus

Yeah, that's why I'm going to take a chance with a Pygmy angel. Pretty much, everywhere I've looked says that if you keep it well fed, they won't nip anything and also that angels that nip at SPS coral, is because the coral is stressed and unhealthy.

Back
Top Bottom