Reef Conversion Plan

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tacos377

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have owned a FOWLR tank for about 5 months that is well established and its levels are stable. The question is, how do I go reef? I have planned on getting 2 taotronics dimmable tt-al09 but I am open to ideas, and for additives I'm probably getting reef code a+b. What is a good brand for calcium and alkalinity tests? I have api for the other tests but I'm not satisfied. Last question is what is a good model for a HOB skimmer? Thanks everyone!:thanks::fish1:(y):dance:

There are plenty skimmers on bulk reef supply and some might hang on back buy I heard you usually get a skimmer fitted for twice your tank size. I have a 30 and was recommend something fitted for a 60 or if I wanted to keep sps 80 or 90g. You would need 1-2 pounds of live rock or dry rock per gallon and salt recommended for a reef and or salt that has essential elements. what corals do you want softies, sps, lps ?

In the beginning I'm going to start with softies and then slowly get more different types. What are good suggestions for beginner corals? I have about 1.2 lbs/gallon of rock right now.

You can get zoanthids and ricordea or regular mushrooms. I don't recommend Yuma mushrooms because those melt very easy. I started out with mushrooms and 3 out of the 5 mushroom polyps melted because I put them in the middle column of my tank. 1 turned white s melted right away .The other 2 melted slowly over a course of 1 week and a half. If you also think your ready for it you can also try leather corals which are softies and most are easy too keep. But mushrooms and zoanthids are more fore giving. One thing you defiantly don't want to do is put any softies or any coral period in the middle or top of your fish tank Column right away. Most corals depend on light and they have to not only get a custom to your parameters such as temp, ph, and salinity but lighting also This I believe is called photo acclimation.

If you want websites to choose from just Let me know also.

Duncans, mushrooms, zoas. Xenia & green star polyps too, but watch out as they can take over. Really hard to kill xenia. Mine have been through a lot. :nono:

Duncans, mushrooms, zoas. Xenia & green star polyps too, but watch out as they can take over. Really hard to kill xenia. Mine have been through a lot. :nono:

That good for me too know might think about getting an Xenia

Softies like Xenia, GSP and other octocorals encrust on things, so have some rock fragments for them to cover, then you can remove the fragments and sell them when you need to thin the coral patch.

You can get zoanthids and ricordea or regular mushrooms. I don't recommend Yuma mushrooms because those melt very easy. I started out with mushrooms and 3 out of the 5 mushroom polyps melted because I put them in the middle column of my tank. 1 turned white s melted right away .The other 2 melted slowly over a course of 1 week and a half. If you also think your ready for it you can also try leather corals which are softies and most are easy too keep. But mushrooms and zoanthids are more fore giving. One thing you defiantly don't want to do is put any softies or any coral period in the middle or top of your fish tank Column right away. Most corals depend on light and they have to not only get a custom to your parameters such as temp, ph, and salinity but lighting also This I believe is called photo acclimation.

If you want websites to choose from just Let me know also.

Thanks, i too will be looking into soft corals after the summer.

Back
Top Bottom