reef filtration

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

scuba_steve

Aquarium Advice Addict
ok i have done alot of reading on diff setups and like the idea of some over others but my question is most of ya all are not using anything but lr and skimmer right!!

but every petstore around my area and a few reef tanks i have seen that looked great were all using a wet/dry filter in them !!!! if this is not good why would they be using them and getting a good result ?!?!

mabe i missing something

Well...the reason most of us are using LR and a skimmer is that it works. Wet/dry filters work also. You can have a successful tank either way. However, if you have an adequate quantity of LR and a DSB, you really don't need the wet/dry. Wet/dry filters were all the rage until recently and I suspect that quite a few pet stores are still using them because they had them set up and...they do work. One problem that may occur with a wet/dry setup, and not everyone has this trouble, is the buildup of nitrates in the water. The wet/dry, while it excels at ammonia/nitrite conversion, has no way to export nitrates. I expect the amount and frequency of water changes may be why some folks don't seem to have a nitrate problem. I would be willing to bet if two systems were set up, one with a wet/dry and the other using LR and a DSB, the system with the wet/dry will consistently have a higher nitrate level no matter how often water changes are done. JMHO.

Back
Top Bottom