Reef foundation B (buffer supplement)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MANCUNIA13

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have just bought this reef supplement, 500ml/16.9 fl. oz. what's the best way to add it? Do I just pour 30ml from measuring cup into tank or mix it with some tank water first??

do not use unless testing with the test kit for it .

and when you test it will say on the bottle how much to add and then you just add it straight to the aquarium

We were told by lfs it was needed to help buffer our ph. They told us to add 70ml over 2 days, also they told us not to do water changes but to add these supplements, also our phosphate was up and water change was a bad idea, but to use KENT phosphate sponge in our filter to suck it out.

hmm im confused abit so what do you want to do exacly . wasnt reef foundation b for ballencing out ph and to get more dkh

if you have some phosephate a water change is always good .
i use no 2 po 3 i think its called it knocks dow phosphate and nitrate down abit

We went to our lfs on Friday he said our phosphate was up so do a 20% water change which we did, we then went bk on Sunday with a water sample but it was closed, so went to another 1 who told us our levels were:- salt 1.024, ph 8.1, kh 7, no3 25, no2 0, po4 .5, ca 400, mg 800. And not to do water change but add this reef supplement B and a phosphate sponge into filter, I've added 35ml of supplement B last night (went all cloudy in tank was the reason I asked on how to add), and have put this phosphate sponge in my filter, but this morning I've now noticed both my polyps are a shadow of their former self an look terrible all closed up an skinny looking, has adding these things killed them or can they recover, they were fine before I added thus stuff, as for rest of tank it looks to be fine.

Seems like all reading are good except alkalinity and mag. By adding part b should raise your alkalinity, does it also contain a mag supplement? It will go in cloudy but dissipates rather quickly and should help your lps and soft corals look better.Get a alkalinity test kit and calcium to keep them balance then you will figure out how much it raises it per ml then you can properly dose. Keep a record of readings it helps.just went thru this two weeks ago.i use a local additive called oceans blend works well took me a week to figure out proper amount.im looking for 9.1-9.8 for me it's about 25ml daily of calcium part a and alk part b in a 75.

No it just says it contains sodium carbonate and potassium carbonate. By adding this could it be the reason that my polyps have closed up an shrunk down in size?.

theywill be fine . always test before you add .

maybe think of it at someone getting hit in the face , there not gonna be ok straight away .

I hope they will be ok because at the min they really do look dismall although closed their still fluorescent is this a good sign? Hope so.

Sodium carbonate will raise PH quite a bit and should be added very slowly, use a drip method. Your levels are a bit off, but the phosphate stands out to me. What salt mix do you use? You might think about using something higher in alk/cal. Phosphate should be under .1, .05 is even better. Magnesium is a bit low. I think water changes are in your future. As many of the levels need to be improved, I would not try to do it with additives, especially if you can't test as you add them. I am not surprised the polyps are not opening. They will when that phosphate level drops and alk climbs.

Think the levels are changing now, my polyps are fattening up again and I've also noticed some are starting to open that wasn't before so fingers crossed it carrys on an they start blooming like before because they were stunning and 1 of the best features init, thanks for all the comments.

Back
Top Bottom