reef help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mannyfern09

Aquarium Advice Regular
do you guys and girls with the big reefs add any liquids to ure tank that help your reef and help your corals reproduce?

Generally regular PWCs will replenish the exhausted trace elements. If your system is overloaded you might need to dose. I would say, if you don't have a test for each thing you are dosing, get one.

:hat:beautifull .. everyone here is the best..i seem to have gotten lucky at the LFS i bought a live rock that had about 10 tiny tiny zoas on it.. they are superrr small .. hopefully they will eventually get bigger and multiply!! as for the ad ons into the tanks no one here puts any thing that makes the corals multiply other than a nice dose of time and patience

You will need to dose depending on what corals you plan to keep and what the system may lack after testing. Food can also be added and there is quite a variety depending on the coral, once again. All corals do not feed upon the same foods for their nutrition.

I mentioned that I dont dose but I dont have alot of SPS corals either. I mostly have alot of LPS corals and soft corals. IME PWC`s have done great for me. No need for any supplements in my tank. Depending on what type salt you use you could have to supplement calcium if it wont keep up with your corals. As mentioned above testing will confirm whether you need any supplements.

Agree with melosu58... if you're just keeping soft corals (mushrooms, zoas, leathers) and LPS corals, you can probably get by with just normal PWCs. Some LPS corals don't mind being fed small bits of food like mysis or cyclopeeze - the same stuff you'd feed your fish. But this can be done with just spot feeding.

If you're keeping SPS corals, that might be a different story. Depending on how many you have, you may have to supplement various elements. I don't do SPS, so I don't have specifics for you.

Personally, I keep zoas, mushrooms, and various LPS. The only thing I "supplement" is a 2-part Ca/Alk solution to keep my Ca levels even through the week. I have a fair amount of coralline algae on my rocks and like it! It's a big calcium hog! I do spot feed some of my LPS though, but I don't add any "coral food" or anything else to the water.

Back
Top Bottom