Reef Lighting

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pph_2ppr

Aquarium Advice Activist
thanks for the words, that was the answer i was hoping for, and with the 24" on a 20" i will rig something up, i think you can slide the mounting arms around .....mayb ,if they dont im always up for a challenge. what kind of corals could i keep with this lighting?

how much heat can the CFs potentially add to the tank? I would have to put the lights on for different time intervals to find how much it affects it. should there be any major problem?

If I remember right, you've got a 55g sitting idle full of water and sand because you didn't have the $$ to "upgrade" it. That's why you're using your 10g, right? Honestly, if it were me, I wouldn't pour a dime into a 10g to upgrade it with MH for SPS corals. By the time you get done spending money on the 10g, it sure seems like for just a bit more $, you could've gotten the 55g ready to go. And with a larger tank, you have LOTS more water to work with so you're not constantly fighting your water parameters like you will in a 10g reef.

Just my nickel's worth...

Earlier in this post people said that metal halides on a ten gallon would pretty much torch the water, is there a way i could avoid this heat problem? There is soo many metal halides out there could you check out some sights and tell me which ones you think are the best( i am no pro) but once again there is this system that i had my eye on... http://www.aquatraders.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=337

Could these possible be too bright, I could make the lighting sit however high above the water i want it to.... what is the usual distance MHs are above the water?

Money is a major factor so please try to be very convincing:confused:

Well let's see... everyone that's responded so far has said MH on a 10g is a bad idea. How convincing do you need people to be?

Yes... you could buy a chiller to put on a 10g, and that would get rid of heat issues. Chillers are not cheap though. And yes... you could hang your MH really high to avoid heat issues, but then that just negates the whole reason for having MH because you've reduced the amount of light going into your tank.

CFs will add heat to your tank, but not much. If you left the top open, you could manage the heat issues with a fan blowing across the top of the tank.

If you're determined to get MH, at least do some internet searches on that brand you've listed. Odyssea MH lights don't get rave reviews from a safety standpoint. Also don't forget Devilishturtles comment... a 10g is 20" wide - at least the ones I've seen are.

they are 20" , but i have stands figured out that i can use as they wont be visable how the tank will be sitting. I really want a closed brain coral, i saw one at a fish store and they are pretty much amazing. how hard are they to keep in the home aquarium setting?

MH lights on a 10g would be really difficult to maintain proper temperature without a chiller. Austinsdad is right, you will need to mount it relatively high enough so it doesn't heat the water so much. I made the mistake once of mounting an MH light too close on a 90g tank and it melted the center brace! These lights are no joke, and get very, very hot.

I agree with others' that say put the extra money into the 55g. You will be much happier in the long run.

Regards,

Mike

I know that it would be the smart choice, but i will be moving out to college here this fall, and dont think i will be able to keep a 55 gallon aquarium in my dorm. I thought keeping a 10 gallon there would be more realistic. If i have an aquarium this small it will be easy to explain to someone how to take care of it. Im trying to save as much money possible to pay for college, and hope to set the 55 when i graduate or get into more permanent housing. I might until then give the tank to relatives in omaha who are interested in starting one. If i could find MH for a 55 around $200 then i might consider setting it up( the 1.5 lbs of live rock per gallon couldnt be obtained either..)mayb if i skip out on college;) right now i think it would help my future reef tank if i just do what i can to get knowledge. small tank better then none

OK... it's good to have a little background.

Honestly - I wouldn't even start the 10g then if I was you if you're just going to go off to school in Aug/Sep and leave it to someone else to take care of. By the time you get that tank stabilized, you'll be looking at April on the calendar, at least. Keeping a 10g reef is tough and a fair amount of work because it's just not a lot of water volume to play with. Things go bad real quick in tiny tanks. I know this sounds harsh and probably pessimistic, but you'd only get a few months enjoyment out of it while you're home in the summer. Whoever you turned it over to - unless they've got some experience under their belt - would probably mess it up or even crash it because (1) they have even less experience than you, and (2) they don't have the time/money invested in it that you do.

OK... I've spoken my mind, now I'll shut up! :)

OK... it's good to have a little background.

Honestly - I wouldn't even start the 10g then if I was you if you're just going to go off to school in Aug/Sep and leave it to someone else to take care of. By the time you get that tank stabilized, you'll be looking at April on the calendar, at least. Keeping a 10g reef is tough and a fair amount of work because it's just not a lot of water volume to play with. Things go bad real quick in tiny tanks. I know this sounds harsh and probably pessimistic, but you'd only get a few months enjoyment out of it while you're home in the summer. Whoever you turned it over to - unless they've got some experience under their belt - would probably mess it up or even crash it because (1) they have even less experience than you, and (2) they don't have the time/money invested in it that you do.

OK... I've spoken my mind, now I'll shut up! :)

Agree with what was said stick with freshwater until you are ready to dedicate daily maintenance, serious research, and lots of time. 10g reef is for the advanced aquarist who has had a big tank and looking for a challenge. small tank is not better than none at least for the fishes sake

ahh screw the reef idea, I thought corals would be too much for me anyways. I still will probably get the CFs so it is not so dark. Are you kidding me, you want me to go back to fresh water but it is you guys that got me obsessed with salt, and i dont think i could settle for less. Now i really dont know what im gonna do, can i keep it a fish only setup?

ahh screw the reef idea, I thought corals would be too much for me anyways. I still will probably get the CFs so it is not so dark. Are you kidding me, you want me to go back to fresh water but it is you guys that got me obsessed with salt, and i dont think i could settle for less. Now i really dont know what im gonna do, can i keep it a fish only setup?

Really just spend a few buck and get at least a 29gallon setup they don't take up that much space really and it opens the door to so much more. Why is it you want a 10g why not a bigger tank. One thing I have learned is you can not go cheap in this hobby ever. I have spent 2500 on a 46g and kick myself in the butt for not getting the MH light for my tank to save money. Dish out the cash or find a hobby other than reef tanks

I now think reefing is now out of the question, I'm liking the 10 gallon because now i don't need as much live rock/replacement salt/equipment etc. mayb now is the time i need to get experience in saltwater keeping so i can have a reef in the future

I now think reefing is now out of the question, I'm liking the 10 gallon because now i don't need as much live rock/replacement salt/equipment etc. mayb now is the time i need to get experience in saltwater keeping so i can have a reef in the future

you know from 10g to 20g there is a huge difference in what can be accomplished and 20g tanks only cost like 30 dollars well worth the few extra pennies. you could very well keep a nice saltwater setup in a 20g being new at it just making sure the SG and temperature is consistent. Also avoiding algae by using RO/DI water but then again RO/DI water costs money. Just no corals until you have a bigger tank with a lot of time and patience

ironically i do have a ro/di unit and use that water for the 10 gallon right now......20 gallons does not sound like a bad ideathe price of salt would still be relatively low. I was thinking about connecting a 10 gallon sump on, would this work the same

I think with a 20gallon a sump would take up a lot of space to where you might as well buy a bigger tank and skip the sump(better for the fish) And I dont know if they make an overflow and pump that are rated for that small of a tank(not sure) With a 20gallon and RO/DI water some good salt you could have a pair of clownfish probably(not sure) Clownfish are so much fun to watch, very hardy and easy to keep. Make sure you buy a refractometer do not skimp on that cost the 50 dollars is well worth it and let your water sit for 24 hours before adding to the tank. Maybe you could use the 10gallon tank to mix your saltwater in

Back
Top Bottom