Reef Lighting PC vs. VHO

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Auden

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I'm moving, and thought that now would be the best time to set up a new lighting system for my tank. I have a 29 gallon under 130 watts of PC. Although it looks nice, I'd like to really be able to grow more than just soft corals.

Here's the situation...

I'm looking at the new Coralife HQI setup that includes 1-150 MH & 130 watts of PC. This sounds great, but I would have to buy a whole new canopy.

I'm also looking at a VHO setup that costs around the same, good watts to gallon ratio, and I wouldn't have to replace the canopy.

Anyone have any advice? Is it worth buying a new canopy for the HQI setup?

The HQI will allow you to have any corals that you would desire to have in the future. I would highly recommend buying the HQI over VHO. I have had VHO and they are Awesome lights, but the MH will allow you to have almost anything in there. Most of the colorful corals or cool looking ones require ALOT of light. JMO.....HTH

Go look at HelloLights.com and see if you can't find a DIY set to put the MH in the canopy with you current PC configuration. I did that and came away with a 250w MH setup for about $150 excluding bulb.

You can also go to www.captivereefs.com and pick up a CoralVue MH setup WITH the bulb for $180... it may be $190 now, plus a 6% "AQUARIUMADVICE" discount ... but I trust everything Darin sells and have bought from him on several occasions... will continue to do so in the future.

=)

Back
Top Bottom