Reef or Fowlr

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

360º

Aquarium Advice FINatic
ok so i have about a
125 gallon 6 foot tank
40 gallon sump.
t5 lights
euro reef skimmer
powerheads
130 pounds of liverock.

I am undecided whether to go with FOWLR (because i like the selection of fish available) or an LPS reef tank with fish (but ill probably need MH lights)

please help me decide. i cant decide whats more important, nicer fish or corals.

if you want a reef with mostly lps, you won't need metal halides. you are the one who has to decide. we can only tell you what we like.
you are the one who will have to look at it.
a reef is a little more difficult, but i think it's a lot more interesting.

if you want a reef with mostly lps, you won't need metal halides. you are the one who has to decide. we can only tell you what we like.
you are the one who will have to look at it.
a reef is a little more difficult, but i think it's a lot more interesting.
+1

If you want just get the thing started and get the fish you like, once your system is going rather then put limits on yourself you can say... I want this fish/invert/coral if there is no conflict then get it. Eventually you will either have a reef or FOWLR. Worst case if you are not happy with the end product you can give/sell the fish/invert/coral that doesn't work with your new direction and carry on from there.

i think im just gonna go with a fowlr..... i really wanna keep a clown trigger... its probably one of my favorite saltwater fish

if its really the fish and less of the tank as a whole really then go for a FOWLR and save money on the higher quality lights and more on fish

Depends on if want to keep fish that are reef safe or not. I have a reef tank and I like it a lot bit they are a little harder to keep.

i know that but when you have a reef you check on your corals and everything else in the tank rather with a fowlr it seems like you focus on the fish, you dont constantly check your LR

yeah i know that.... but i have a smaller 55 gallon reef tank right now and the corals just dont seem to interest me that much...... they dont really do anything

My fist salt water tank was a FOWLR and I was always looking at the rocks... trying to find new life :D a surprise here, a fish eating a pod. What ever you do you will enjoy it I'm sure.

honestly i think im gonna go with FOWLR for now. run my T5s and keep the fish i want.

if i decide to make it a reef ill get some LED lights and sell the fish.

i can still run my skimmer on a FOWLR right?

Yes a skimmer helps with waist reduction and is needed for corals in most set-ups as they are more sensitive, but it also helps the fish as the levels of waist in the system will be less stressful.

When you get your trigger post pics :D Clown triggers are also my favorite fish and i decided to do reef then hello my favorite fish. lol

Back
Top Bottom