Reef question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GhostKnife

Aquarium Advice FINatic
So I have most of what I need I got my reef octopus skimmer and current usa nova extreme lighting the other day. On the way is the 50lb base rock box and RO/DI unit. The question to all of you is... After I get the DRY base rock do you think it would be okay to put the DRY sand in and base rock to start figuring out the layout?? It would more than likely sit for a week or two until i get my waste cans to fill with RO/DI water and my live rock. Will this hurt anything I could cover it to ensure that nothing will get in there. I just really want to position everything just right and have the base formation completely done ahead of time so that when I get my live rock I can start my fishless cycle.

Sure can. Depending on your base rock, you can start your cycle with that. Then add the LR to the started cycling tank. As long as the LR is coming shortly behind it. If you are buying local cured LR that won't need curing, that can even wait until the cycle is finished. Then add that and check for a few more days.

Rinse your sand first and lay it down wet. It will help get rid of all the small particles.

I agree with the captain to make sure you rinse that sand really good. As he said also cure your LR and cycle the tank at the same time. My only question is I wonder if it has enough die off on it to get the cycle going? If you dont see your ammonia going up then you`ll need another ammonia source.

Be sure that your base rock is all the way down onto the glass. This will prevent rock slides. Fish like gobies love to dig and that causes lots of rock slides. If you like you can place pvc pipe ~1" to sit the base rock on. check the sticky's for more on this.

Back
Top Bottom