Reef Rock - Anyone Try This Out?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nxb161

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I've bought from premium aquatics before, very good stuff. I want more, but think I should wait another month until the temps are up for better shipping. I figure less die off, I get the insulated box with the heat pad, but still when its 30F at night.... anyhow. I've bought Manado, Bali Alor, & Fuji before but just saw this "Reef Rock"

"It is a clean calcium carbonate rock with great buffering ability,"

http://premiumaquatics.com/aquatic-supplies/L-REAL-REEF.html

I was curious if anyone purchased any of this stuff before? I might try out a couple pounds of it when i order, if it doesn't look good maybe break it up for the sump?

I live close to premium aquatics I was there yesterday that rock looks really cool in person but it is painted to look purple

Really? that's kind of ghetto.... wouldn't the coralline algae grow on it just as it would the glass or regular LR?

Yea they sell that at my LFS as well and the purple is painted on, you can tell the difference but it still looks cool. My guess would be that the coralline would still grow over it just has it would regular LR but I have no real experience with that rock so I could not say for sure.

Ya it is painted but once you put it in a tank you really can't tell the difference and they say coraline will still grow on it like normal it's just a quick way to get the look of coraline without having to wait for it to grow it would be great for a show tank where do you live

wowzer! i'll order you a few boxes of rock if you need some. no extra charge. just pay for it and any shipping costs. you don't need to pay 7 bucks a pound for rock. it's just crazy.

You think that's crazy. I live in Ontario. I've seen it priced at 13.99 a pound. The cheapest I have seen is 9.99

Yeah. If you have a big tank up here it can cost thousands just to get enough rock.

Painting the rock seems like it would clog the natural pores in the rock and make useless for biological filtration.

Ive seen it at Big Als for $9 a Lb if you buy 30lbs or more.. Incredible Aquarium in London,Ont has some LR for $5.49 a Lb.. Bill at IA is great to deal with, there is a LFS in Brantford, a Big Als in Hamilton,Kitchener and Mississauga but I drive the 1hr to deal with Bill.. Super nice guy, not a huge store but has nice selection and he will deliver to you,personally, within 100Km.. I just picked up 100Lbs or Marco dry rock on Sunday.. He actually threw in about 10 extra Lbs incase anything broke on the drive home.. Check him out if you are close Sqasnatch..

Shane.

amdninjaboy said:
Ive seen it at Big Als for $9 a Lb if you buy 30lbs or more.. Incredible Aquarium in London,Ont has some LR for $5.49 a Lb.. Bill at IA is great to deal with, there is a LFS in Brantford, a Big Als in Hamilton,Kitchener and Mississauga but I drive the 1hr to deal with Bill.. Super nice guy, not a huge store but has nice selection and he will deliver to you,personally, within 100Km.. I just picked up 100Lbs or Marco dry rock on Sunday.. He actually threw in about 10 extra Lbs incase anything broke on the drive home.. Check him out if you are close Sqasnatch..

Shane.

I am planning a trip to London in may actually, so I will check him out.

You can culture some yourself if you can be patient. There really isn't much magic to it. Need to buy some (pourous) coral base rock and a few pounds of live rock to culture it. Takes longer, but paying $9 pound for a wet rock seems kind of high.

I agree $9/lb is high, its actually $7/lb (yeah I know that's high too) I was curious about the "buffering qualities" more than anything.

Gregcoyote said:
You can culture some yourself if you can be patient. There really isn't much magic to it. Need to buy some (pourous) coral base rock and a few pounds of live rock to culture it. Takes longer, but paying $9 pound for a wet rock seems kind of high.

you kknow what i think gets ya the include water weight some times to stack on lbs because lr isnt lr without water thats why im goin the base rock approach itl become "live" over time

mr_X said:
wowzer! i'll order you a few boxes of rock if you need some. no extra charge. just pay for it and any shipping costs. you don't need to pay 7 bucks a pound for rock. it's just crazy.

I have to pay 10 per pound of rock where I live! It sucks!!!

Back
Top Bottom