Reef safe fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BenPadelski

Aquarium Advice Activist
For all you reef enthusiasts out there what are some of the fish you have or want to have in your tank? Im trying to get a good idea of what I want and im sure you all have or want some of the same fish that are on my list. It would just be nice to see the different opinions on fish.

I would love a designer clownfish. Tangs are always nice, I just got a powder brown and he is gorgeous. Wrasses are also nice additions, especially love the flashers. My unicorn however would be seahorses, I have a 29g sitting in the garage that I want to convert. I always thought an octopus would be neat too but they would probably cause me more hair loss than my kids.

I like firefish. They come in colors specific to what you have to spend. The crown jewels being Helfrichi Firefish...gorgeous. Purples and Common red are very cool as well. Great for a reef and 5 would be ideal in your reef tank. I just got into them. Never had 'em after 25 years in the hobby. I bought 3 and they have become my new favorites.

I have a pair of snowflake clowns, a diamond sand-sifting goby, and a yellow-eye tang.

Snowflake clowns are sweet, I have a desire to get Picasso though. I too have a diamond goby and in my opinion everyone should have one. They do an awesome job on the sand, look nice and are always out and about working. Tangs are also nice, I had a foxface before which I liked and they are more hardy than tangs but they are so skitish and when they swim its always hard and fast. Tangs just leisurely cruise. Another cool addition is an engineer goby, always liked eels and wanted one but didnt want it to eat everything. Engineer goby looks just like an eel, generally considered reef safe (may eat small crustaceans) just make sure your rock is right on the bottom of the tank. My engineer actually dens up with my diamond goby and since I got my new diamond goby my engineer is much more social.

Wow great responses. I actually have currently in my tank 2 pajama cardinals, a maroon clown, a firefish and 2 blue green reef chromis. More fish on the way =] but an octopus would be kind of nuts and very stressful as they are a lot smarter than you lol. And the firefish are awesome. But ive seen purples go from $50-$70 which I think is ridiculous. I have a red right now and I happily paid $18 for him haha. Snowflake clowns are sweet too especially if you have a mated pair. Keep more feedback comin!

I would love a designer clownfish. Tangs are always nice, I just got a powder brown and he is gorgeous. Wrasses are also nice additions, especially love the flashers. My unicorn however would be seahorses, I have a 29g sitting in the garage that I want to convert. I always thought an octopus would be neat too but they would probably cause me more hair loss than my kids.

Powder brown tangs are sweet and they are gorgeous. I do want a wrasse of some sort eventually but im trying to stock my pod population in the fuge so I wont have one for another 4-6 months.

The goby eats Very well. He always is sifting through the sandbed almost every time I look at the tank. He loves frozen brine/mysis shrimp as well. He goes crazy for it. I feel bad when I feed pellets because he tried to eat it but it slips out his gills where the sand comes out lol. But the goby gets most of it's food from the sand bed. I like it because any food that is not eaten usually lays on the sand bed and breaks down the goby scoops it up if my shrimp don't get to it. At first, yes he made a mess because there was a lot of dust and just dirty sand because I had it up for a couple months and it was never turned over. After about 2 or 3 days there is no more mess. The most important thing is to make sure your rocks are steady. The goby will dig and take mouthfuls of sand close the the rocks and around the glass perimeter. If you put your rock in first, then the sand you'll be ok. I put the sand in first, then layed the rock and dug it in a little bit but this was before I realized and knew more about the hobby. The goby will dig a cave or two under your rock to sleep and rest in. This caused some of my rocks to topple down. Nothing was damaged - I just don't like the way it looks now since I had to do some rearranging. Sorry for the long drawn out response - I'm bored at work lol.

The goby eats Very well. He always is sifting through the sandbed almost every time I look at the tank. He loves frozen brine/mysis shrimp as well. He goes crazy for it. I feel bad when I feed pellets because he tried to eat it but it slips out his gills where the sand comes out lol. But the goby gets most of it's food from the sand bed. I like it because any food that is not eaten usually lays on the sand bed and breaks down the goby scoops it up if my shrimp don't get to it. At first, yes he made a mess because there was a lot of dust and just dirty sand because I had it up for a couple months and it was never turned over. After about 2 or 3 days there is no more mess. The most important thing is to make sure your rocks are steady. The goby will dig and take mouthfuls of sand close the the rocks and around the glass perimeter. If you put your rock in first, then the sand you'll be ok. I put the sand in first, then layed the rock and dug it in a little bit but this was before I realized and knew more about the hobby. The goby will dig a cave or two under your rock to sleep and rest in. This caused some of my rocks to topple down. Nothing was damaged - I just don't like the way it looks now since I had to do some rearranging. Sorry for the long drawn out response - I'm bored at work lol.

Haha no its cool dude. But thanks for the tips on the rock work. My buddy just had one die because it didnt want to eat anything. Thats why I was wondering how it ate.

Yeah it eats all the time - I actually almost lost it once because it jumped out of my tank. I had an open top and it jumped out one night and my girlfriend was sleeping on the floor (long story) it bounce off her stomack and started flopping around. Luckily we caught it in time and put him back - so make sure you have a lid, or in my case the egg crate look.

I'm surprised this fish hasn't been mentioned yet

MANDARIN DRAGONETTE

I have a spotted mandarin and love these fish. Was my must have fish and now I have a fuge and massive pod population it's a treat to have this fish. Sad to think of how many die due to their beauty and people buying them without a clue of what they need.

Yeah it eats all the time - I actually almost lost it once because it jumped out of my tank. I had an open top and it jumped out one night and my girlfriend was sleeping on the floor (long story) it bounce off her stomack and started flopping around. Luckily we caught it in time and put him back - so make sure you have a lid, or in my case the egg crate look.

That's lucky, I had a diamond goby that didnt survive my tank crash and wanted to replace him. When I did my father in law got one also after he saw how well my first one cleaned the sand. Long story short I had a cover, he didnt, I have a diamond goby and he doesn't.

I'm surprised this fish hasn't been mentioned yet

MANDARIN DRAGONETTE

I have a spotted mandarin and love these fish. Was my must have fish and now I have a fuge and massive pod population it's a treat to have this fish. Sad to think of how many die due to their beauty and people buying them without a clue of what they need.

I agree 100%. I eventually want one of them also but down the road. Thats exactly why I want my pods to repopulate. I wont put anything in that eats them. Plus theyre in my fuge as of now. But they are beautiful fish. There are just some people out there that shouldnt be allowed to buy them lol.

That's lucky, I had a diamond goby that didnt survive my tank crash and wanted to replace him. When I did my father in law got one also after he saw how well my first one cleaned the sand. Long story short I had a cover, he didnt, I have a diamond goby and he doesn't.

Haha well thats a bummer. They are sweet looking and interesting to watch. I guess if you have their eating habits down and a lid youll be good to go!

Back
Top Bottom