Reef Sump/Fuge Help! Pleeeeease!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
does it have to run all the time?
do i need a storage container for it to pump into?
how often do you change filters?
is there an indicator for them?

No not at all times just when you can hook up as a ato and a storage. Or storage to refill ato and to make new sw water.

does it have to run all the time?
do i need a storage container for it to pump into?
how often do you change filters?
is there an indicator for them?

You will want a storage container to hold at least some water, I run mine to fill a tote, then shut it off until the tote gets low. You use the TDS meter to tell you when to change filters. When the tds meter starts reading anything other than 0 it's time to change. The DI resin also is usually "color changing" so you can monitor that as well as the tds meter.

No not at all times just when you can hook up as a ato and a storage. Or storage to refill ato and to make new sw water.

You will want a storage container to hold at least some water, I run mine to fill a tote, then shut it off until the tote gets low. You use the TDS meter to tell you when to change filters. When the tds meter starts reading anything other than 0 it's time to change. The DI resin also is usually "color changing" so you can monitor that as well as the tds meter.

i have 5gal watermill express drinking water containers if that helps, but how would i mix it? with a powerhead..? i have a canoe paddle too lol

It depends on the salt mix you use, I use reef crystals and dump it right in front of the powerhead. It clouds the water a bit and some settles on the bottom. I have a long plastic stiring spoon that I used to use for wine making that I use to stir the bottom to get the settled stuff. I usually test with my refractometer after about 30 minutes and then add more salt based on where the level is. I let the final water set 1 to 2 hours to get up to temp before doing the water change. For top off I just pull the water out of the tote in a pitcher and pour it in my sump. My 150 goes through about a gallon a day.

It depends on the salt mix you use, I use reef crystals and dump it right in front of the powerhead. It clouds the water a bit and some settles on the bottom. I have a long plastic stiring spoon that I used to use for wine making that I use to stir the bottom to get the settled stuff. I usually test with my refractometer after about 30 minutes and then add more salt based on where the level is. I let the final water set 1 to 2 hours to get up to temp before doing the water change. For top off I just pull the water out of the tote in a pitcher and pour it in my sump. My 150 goes through about a gallon a day.

whats the difference between crystals and salt..?

It's just a brand. Instant Ocean makes 2 types of salt "Instant Ocean Sea Salt" and "Instant Ocean Reef Crystals"

The only difference is that Reef Crystals have more trace elements that are used by coral...And the price

The size of the salt I would assume is the same, I've never used anything but Reef Crystals which is like powdered sugar

It's just a brand. Instant Ocean makes 2 types of salt "Instant Ocean Sea Salt" and "Instant Ocean Reef Crystals"

The only difference is that Reef Crystals have more trace elements that are used by coral...And the price

The size of the salt I would assume is the same, I've never used anything but Reef Crystals which is like powdered sugar

ill be using this water in a fowlr and a future reef tank, are the crystals fowlr safe? is there no real difference for a fish only?

Yea no problem, but reef crystals are a bit more expensive so unless you need it I would just use the normal salt. You can switch when you start getting coral.

Yea no problem, but reef crystals are a bit more expensive so unless you need it I would just use the normal salt. You can switch when you start getting coral.
The price difference is like $5-10 per 200 gallons but the water quality and stability is much better in my opinion with a reef mix. I still use kent reef salt. $45ish for a box that makes 200 gallons of water. Comes in (4) 50 gallon bags so you dont have to worry about moisture getting into a bucket and clumping the salts if you dont use a lot. A box lasts me on my 210 about 2-3 months unless i get a spike in nitrates from adding fish or skipping a filter swap.

The price difference is like $5-10 per 200 gallons but the water quality and stability is much better in my opinion with a reef mix. I still use kent reef salt. $45ish for a box that makes 200 gallons of water. Comes in (4) 50 gallon bags so you dont have to worry about moisture getting into a bucket and clumping the salts if you dont use a lot. A box lasts me on my 210 about 2-3 months unless i get a spike in nitrates from adding fish or skipping a filter swap.

thats good to hear because i was thinking i could get maybe a 50g or 65g tote and i was worried about measuring for 50 or 60 gallons out of a 200gal salt mix lol

for reef crystals it's 1/2 cup per gallon of water. You'll still want to measure the salt and test the water. Much easier to add more salt then try and add water to an already full and bulging tote.

Back
Top Bottom