Reef tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Roxxpac

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Good morning my reefers... An still waiting for my bio pellets to start doing there thing for the past 2 month. (NPX Bioplastics) am testing my water and nitrate 0/ ammonia 0 / calcium 460-480 / KH 17. I have a lot of green algae. Also this tank went threw **** do to a major power loss for 4 day with temps at 55• back in oct. where everything got wiped out and am starting all over again about 2 months ago. My light are fairly new MH are only on for 8hrs.... Some help me... What's going on...

Your nitrate & phosphate readings are only an instantaneous indicator. It's likely that you have a PO4 or NO3 source that is being taken up by the algae as soon as it enters the water column.

Think of it as a trickle of organics. Your pellets work the same way; fueling bacteria that uptake organics which are then exported by your skimmer.

You need to prune the GHA in order to:
-remove stored organics (not showing in readings)

-remove the ability of GHA to reproduce & consume organics before it can be taken up by the bacteria generated by the pellets & exported by your skimmer.

Algae & Bacteria are both sponges in competition limited by the organics in your water. Right now algae is winning, probably because of sheer quantity.

Hi, I had the same prob with GHA when I set my tank up from new. I put a clean up crew of 8 x red legged hermits 1 x electric blue crab, 2 x green emerald crabs and 6 turbo snails. They did a great job but just to finish the job I got a lawn mower blenny and 1 week later the tank was nice and clean.

Attachments

• image-674654742.jpg
    image-674654742.jpg
    65.5 KB · Views: 90
  • image-761941510.jpg
    image-761941510.jpg
    66.9 KB · Views: 104
  • image-2341580253.jpg
    image-2341580253.jpg
    61.7 KB · Views: 78
Back
Top Bottom