reef tank in biocube 14

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bhale0019

Aquarium Advice Newbie
ok I moved my snowflake eel to a new 50g tank and was thinking of turning my biocube 14 to a reef tank and was wondering if I should use dry rock like my cousin did. anyone have an opinion?

Do you have patience? With dry rock you have to wait longer but it sometimes comes in cooler shapes

oh and all I have in the biocube is 1 clownfish(the snowflake eel ate my seahorse and neon blue goby)

Well if you arent gonna move the inhabitants out of the tank you cant do dry rock. The cycle will kill everthing

yea I have patiences and I'm looking at my cousins tank now and he has a bunch of frags in his tank would it be a good idea to use then too?

Well ime It would have nothing to make coral grow faster. It will have more holes to put the plugs in if you arent gonna take them off. But again you can not have anything living in the tank like fish corals or anything like that or the rock would kill it. The rock will release ammonia and that will kill all your fish then theres nitrate nitrite tons of other stuff. So i would first start completely fresh if you want to have dry rock.

i dont think its the dry rock that releases the ammonia, the problem is that there is no bacteria on the rock to process the ammonia and get rid of it but fishman has pointed you in the right direction, great link!

I'm confused. You had the eel in the 14. Did you empty everything? Because you still have fish in there right? What is in the 14?

Yes the eel was in the 14 for a little bit cause I didn't have a bigger tank but now he is in a bigger tank and all that is in the 14 now is a clown fish cause the eel ate my neon blue goby and seahorse

Back
Top Bottom