Reef tank insurance????

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Scotty Fraiser

Aquarium Advice Activist
Haha. May be A dumb question but I have insurance on items that cost a tenth of my reef tank!!! Does anyone have any kind of insurance on equipment other than just homeowners? Ha. Tired of sinking money in this thing!!!!

First, I don't have anything aquariumwise that's more valuable than one moderately good piece of furniture, so know where I'm coming from. All I have or need is my homeowners.

Here are some thoughts related to the subject that you may or may not have had, but that your question gave rise to in my mind:

One can pay extra to insure specific items that their homeowners doesn't normally cover like expensive jewelry. Everyone should read their policy carefully. Sometimes policies contain surprises (usually limitations one isnot aware of). But sometimes they cover surprising things, too. The policy may cover a tank, lights, etc. like it is furniture.

It helps to have pictures and documentation of value stored off site. That's one of the key things if one ever needs to make a claim.

I doubt livestock can be insured, but who knows without finding out. Just about anything is insurable if one is willing to pay the price.

A good agent or broker should be able to give answers. After all they'd just love a chance to sell more insurance. They usually can answer or get answers about the level of coverage on particular kinds of items, especially valuable items. They will probably clarify what damage related to fish tank(s) like water damage or structural damage from the weight is or is not covered, too. For example if a vandal breaks a tank, the consequential damage may be covered where if the owner breaks it or it just breaks it may not be. It's all good to know the actual answers to what is covered or not

Thanks for asking such a thought provoking question!

Thanks for the reply, if nothing else cover the cost of the lights! I'm running maxspect mAzarra p series led. Four panels and they are proud of those puppies! I unplug them from the surge protector during storms if I'm home. Pumps heaters wave makers lights reactors fuge lights the list goes on and on!!!

Yes, if I had your equipment, I'd be documenting its value and talking to my agent or broker. Best wishes on whatever you do, and hope you never need your insurance!

I have talked with my insurance company a while back and I think it is just the equipment that it will cover not the tank. And flooding should the tank break and flood in there... But always check with your insurance company to verify what all they can cover or will cover.
I think but I could be wrong that they will need pictures and copy of the receipts as well.

Back
Top Bottom