Reef Tank Shape

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

engine49

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello all. I'm trying to decide what shape of aquarium to go with for a new reef tank. I'd like about a 90-125 gallon tank. In your experience what works better, a shorter wider tank or a longer narrower one? The largest tank I've had until now is a 55 gallon. I'm leaner toward a shorter 120 gallon reaf ready tank. Would this be a good size to position the lr in a pleasing manner? The only downside to getting the shorter tank is that I dont think I'll be able to fit a 55 gallon i want to use as the sump underneath.

Thanks again

Welcome to AquariumAdvice.com!!! :smilecolros: :smilecolros: :smilecolros:
two important factors are water surface area and depth of the tank. The more surface area, the better gas exchange. This will add in keeping Ph a bit higher. The depth of the tank is important in terms of lighting. Obviously a deeper tank is going to need a more intense lighting system for better penetraton. Longer, shorter tanks are better from a lighting aspect and also better if you plan to keep fish that need horizontal swimming room, such as tangs.

Back
Top Bottom