Reef Tank Water

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FRS

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I saw that some of the Australian members pull their water straight out of the pacific. Does anyone else do this? If so any precautions taken when doing this (UV sterilization) ETC?

Most I have heard from who live where they can get water from the ocean come back with water that has nitrates present already.
They reached the conclusion you may need to miles out and meters down to get good water..
Have you tested the water you can get ?

I'm in Boston and I've heard a few do it on the cape. They have it figured down to perfect timing on tides. Low tide is like using skimmate I guess..

ocean water

I haven't tested but live here on Puget Sound.

You do not want to gather water from the ocean.
Shorelines are natures protein skimmer. All kinds of nasty junk gathers there, to include man made chemicals and toxins that will be havoc in our closed systems.
The only way I’d suggest collecting would be if you could go far out into the ocean. Even then I’d want to run it through some sort of filter...uv at the least. That’s how the big box stores do it when they sell it to you.

Back
Top Bottom