reefrunner69 and your curing topic

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Zack

Aquarium Advice Freak
I would like to talk about it and well I see that you talk about curing all rock. I can understand why you say that since most live rock comes form Fiji and they leave it out and takes a while for it to come to you. But what about Florida lr and the gulf. My friends have a liverock company down there and they say it is best not to really cure it a lot. For the point of that it comes stright from the ocean and to there tanks. They ship overnight where I can see some die off but what do you think. When I got mine there was so many crabs and other creatures that I think there will not really be that high if any ammoina spoike right? W hat do you think on this subjuect and everyone else. Also why do you have trhose topics locked up there?

When I got mine there was so many crabs and other creatures that I think there will not really be that high if any ammoina spoike right?

Time will tell. The level of die off will be dependant on the amount of time the rock was out of water and the temperatures it was subjected to during shipping. All LR that is shipped will have some die off, IMO, the rock that will have the least is the rock that is shipped in water, but it will still have some. As far as curing, all that is, is putting the rock in some SW with some good flow and allowing the nitrifying bacteria to catch up to the die off. In the anouncement I outline how I cure live rock and the reason for curing LR. The amount of time to cur LR, is dependant on the amount of die off. If there was very little die off, the curing time will be very short. If there was alot of die off...the curing time will be longer. No matter how long it takes...the rock is done curing when the ammonia and nitrite levels in the curing vessel reach 0. That may be a few days or a few weeks.

Also why do you have trhose topics locked up there?

The topics are locked because they are more like articles than posts. Some posts have a tendency to be debated and somewhere along the line go off topic, we did not want that to occur with those topics. We felt if the member had any questions they would do just as you did, start another thread on the subject :wink:

ok cool thanks for your help. Also with this live rock came abouit lets say 300 little crabs. What shoudl I do with them if they are just on the bottom. Are they ok ina reef or not? :?

nope!! but a lot smalll crabs. the rock looks great but mu camera sucks! :(

Back
Top Bottom