Reflector types

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Hara

Aquarium Advice Addict
I have noticed that alot of the stock lighting uses white reflective material.
Is there a big difference between that and the polished aluminum?

I would say YES. With aluminum being brigher or having a greater reflectivity percentage.

While white will reflect all the colors of light back at your eye there is to some degree a percentage of light that gets absorbed or diverted at the wrong angle to be benifical.

With a polished aluminum reflector the surface is going to be much smoother than white plastic thus you will get beter control of where the light is reflected. Plus I have to belive the metal will reflect more of the light than a plain white surface.

With a polished aluminum reflector the surface is going to be much smoother than white plastic thus you will get beter control of where the light is reflected. Plus I have to belive the metal will reflect more of the light than a plain white surface.
While this is true, polished aluminum reflectors are not cheap (like me). Flat white paint makes a dandy reflector, absorbing little light or heat. If you can't or don't want to afford the fancy ones, painting the inside of your hood flat white is a good second choice.

Mark

Back
Top Bottom