refractometer

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ClamKnuckle

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I don't really trust the accuracy of my hydrometers (I have a plastic swing arm as well as a floating one and they never read the same) so I am thinking about getting a refractometer. They have some on eBay that don't look that bad price wise (i guess). Has anyone ever gotten one off there? Whats a good brand of refractometers?

The RHS-10ATC is fantastic - a lot of people have one on here (including me!) and they're a very good quality piece of kit. You can trust them 100%, unlike hydrometers!! ATC stands for auto temperature compensation, so you don't need to worry about that either (like you do with hydros).

Get one - you won't regret it! :)

I guess it depends on two factors. 1) How much money do you have to spend and 2) what are you keeping that you need to have such a precise instrument

If you can get along without a refractometer, take your hydrometer to a lfs and have them calibrate it. That should keep things fine until you have the extra dough or the need. IMHO

My opinions:

Plastic Swing arms: these are the most INacurate and highly prone to losing calibration from air bubbles and or salt build up on the arm. I hated mine and tossed the first chance I got.

Glass Tube Floating hydrometers: These are very acurate and relatively inexpensive, however they're also very delicate (i've broken quite a few of them while brewing beer) and they are also not as easy to use as you need a still sample of water to read it accurately.

Refractometer: You get what you pay for. They are more expensive than any of the others, but they are extremely acurate, easy to read and only takes a single drop of tank water onto the prism to test. They are also very simple to calibrate with a single drop of pure RO water and the little adjustment screwdriver usually included. I litteraly smiled the first time I used mine.

MarkW19 said:
The RHS-10ATC
Get one - you won't regret it! :)

That's what I got from ebay - under $50 if I remember correctly

I would not use anything else.

(y)

Back
Top Bottom