Refractometer Calibration

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

amahler

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hello!

I received an RHS-10ATC today that I bought on eBay. I really like it but was curious about the requirement of calibration in a room with an ambient temp of 68 degrees. That's going to be kinda hard to hit.

Do they mean that it -literally- has to be calibrated in a 68 degree room with distilled water or that I need to make sure my sample and my ambient room temp are the same (and 68 was their example)?

Also, does RO/DI water do the trick? I have some bottled RO/DI/carbon/microfilter water from Wal-Mart that I've been using for the tank. Blandest stuff you've ever tasted in your life. ;)

One last question... on this model, do you tend to see a -slightly- pinkish tone that forms a line across the very top of the white area in your reading? I suspect it's related to the prism, but I wanted to be sure and whether I should set that pink line to 0 in calibration or below it where the white begins?

Thanks!
- Aaron

Ro water will be fine to calibrate the unit. You basicly want to be asured that its as pure as you can get so as to not cuase light refraction more than normal. Once you have added the water hold it to a light source and you should see a horizonal line mine is blueish and the line should be at 1.000. If not use the adjustment screw to get the reading at that level with known clean water.

I suspect yours is pink like mine is blue just a different prizm. I dont think you need to be percise with your temperature of your room. The affects of water temperature will be minimal for the overall error margin for the hobby.

Thanks, fishfreek! :)

And I'm glad to see your signature... I'm in Sweet Briar just north of Lynchburg. I'll check out the regional forum.

- Aaron

Back
Top Bottom