refractometer vs hydrometer

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

guitarded

Aquarium Advice Freak
ok, i need to buy something to measure my salinity. i have read that refractometers are much more accurate, however, it seems that most of the folks on this forum use hydrometers.

if money is not a factor what are your suggestions and why?

Me too. No more tapping the outside of my hydrometer to get the bubbles off the needle :lol: Well worth the money.

I used a hydromoter for years until I won a refratomoter. I found my hydromoter to be approx .0025 off. So a reading of 1.025 was really 1.0225 or 1.0275. I cant remember if it was high or low.

FishFreek. Didn't your refractometer come with a calibration screw? Mine was a liitle off but once I calibrated it with RO DI water, it reads exactly the same as my hydrometer, only way faster.

Yes it did. And thats what the differece was after calabration. The fact your hydromoter mached the refractomoter is remarable. Hydomoters are not known for their accuracy or consistancy.

Sorry fishfreek. Read your post wrong. my hydrometer was brand new when I calibrated my refractometer so I must have gotten lucky with the readings being the same. After using my hydrometer for my QT tank upstairs I did notice that it was inconsistent. I could take two readings within a few minutes of each other and get different results.

I use 3 hydrometers. all read something different. but once i get money (after another 20 lbs of live rock and a lighting upgrade.) I am get one!

Definitely scope out the one we put a link to. It's under $45 and is a good refractometer. I see places selling 'fancy' refractometers for over $100 and I don't wanna see anyone get ripped off.

Back
Top Bottom