Refugium

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

batfire

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi all. Have been really considering the CPR Aqua-Refugium. It has a built in protein skimmer. The concept makes sense to naturally remove nitrates. In other setups, not counting water changes how are nitrate levels kept low ??

The best way to keep Nitrates low is to keep biological filtration at a minimum. A good size skimmer along with live sand and live rock will remove organics before they have the chance to be broken down into Nitrites... Nitrates. Water changes compliment this when needed, but are more importantly used to replace trace elements & buffering compounds.

I have never used a refugium. However, I have personally talked with a number of hobbyists who liked the results.

I would say the primary nitrate control mechanism used in SW systems today is the DSB. Granted, they aren't perfect and do have potential for problems, I think it is the most effective nitrate control available at this point. You will get some nitrate reduction in the inner areas of your LR as well. Natural nitrate reduction takes place anywhere in the tank that is anoxic or has an extremely low oxygen content.
Another less popular option is the coil denitrator. This is basically a length of icemaker tubing (like 50 feet) that water is pumped through very slowly. Aerobic bacteria will grow in the first few feet of the tubing and use up all the oxygen in the water. The anaerobic bacteria will grow in the remaining length of tubing and consume the nitrates. The water coming out the other end is nitrate free. This is a very slow process though with the flow being measured in drops per minute.

Back
Top Bottom