Refugium advice needed

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sidman74

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi,

I have a 29 gallon as my sump. Skimmer on left, fuge on right, return in middle. About a 70/30 water flow mix mostly to the skimmer. My refugium is full of hair algae and cyano.

Do I need a power head there to create some flow? Should I just leave it alone?

Nitrates were over 50ppm for a few months. Recently dropped to 25ppm via large water changes. I never got them out after my cycle.

Thanks,ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1421465492.469970.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1421465503.805591.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1421465513.827001.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1421465523.333134.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

A small circulating pump in the fuge will surely help distribute removal of nutrients. I would add macro algae in there. That's the place for the ugly stuff you don't wanna see in your DT. As long as hair algae stays in there, I won't have to worry about it. They also absorb NO3 and PO4.

So, full of macro algae and other things you don't want to grow in your display? Sounds like you are doing it right to me. You could get some circulation in there to get rid of the cyano, but it is still nutrient removal no matter how ugly it all is.

Thanks for the feedback. I was concerned I was heading down the wrong path judging by how messy the thing looks compared to some other fuges I have seen posted here.

I seeded it with 500 pods back in September and the tank is crawling with them. I must be doing something right.

I had a similar issue with Cyno before adding a circulating pump to my refugium. Definitely helps to add the pump, probably even more so in your system where the return pump is in the center rather than the far right.

Back
Top Bottom