Refugium Area and Size

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

themangia1984

Aquarium Advice Regular
I am trying to manage my sump space and was considering adding a little fuge to it. My question is how big of an area do you need for just the fuge space (sandbed, macroalgae)? Do you need a lot of room for the macroalgae? I have about 16inches long, 10 inches high and 6 inches wide of space that is not being utilized right now in my sump. Will this work? Thanks!!!

Looks pretty good. You dont need alot of space. Just need some adequate lighting.

Mike,

What do you consider adequate lighting? I just have a 24watt compact flourescent over it since it is such a small space.

Thanks

I have a 194 watt PC over mine. I`m just afraid that`s not enough but I`m not a lighting expert so maybe someone else can help out. I know some folks that use those clip on dome lights and put a higher wattage bulb in those.

I would say that is enough light. I have a 20g fuge on my system and it is lit by a single 100w CF (standard screw-in bulb) bulb.

Typically I recommend that your fuge be 10% of your display in volume. You don't want awesome lighting over the fuge you want lighting that will grow algae.

Back
Top Bottom