Refugium + DSB

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pwilk20

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Ok, I think I have finalized my setup.

65 gal reef ready tank
288w pc
DSB
100 lbs LR
Refugium
AquaC Remora HOB skimmer

Questions - Do I really need the DSB? Would 1-2" of aragonite sand do?

Can I do 1-2" of crushed coral instead of the sand? Which one is more beneficial?

My refugium will be a bit smaller than is recommended for 65 gal (don`t have the room for a larger one) Is that ok?

And finally, would I be better off with just the LR/DSB/Skimmer? not bothering with the refugium.

Thanks,

Paul.

my refugium is smaller than the recommended size also, but I still see it as benificial. It sits next to my tank and is really quite attractive to look at. I have it on a reverse time schedule as my tank. This not only helps to keep the PH at a steadier rate, but it gives me something else to keep me occupied while my tank is sleeping.

Howard

fishtender said:
my refugium is smaller than the recommended size also, but I still see it as benificial. It sits next to my tank and is really quite attractive to look at. I have it on a reverse time schedule as my tank. This not only helps to keep the PH at a steadier rate, but it gives me something else to keep me occupied while my tank is sleeping.

Howard

Howard, do you have a DSB? I am a little confused, some say that a DSB will become a sink? Would I be safer with 1-2" of sand?

Thanks,

Paul

If a DSB will become a sink, then a shallower sandbed will do the same just faster. The theory goes that phosphates and other materials accumulate in substrate until full and then leech back into the system. The only answer to this would be going bare-bottomed.

I do not believe this to be the case in a well maintained DSB, but it is a debate you should definitely research and decide which is the best for you. All three systems mentioned can be equally successful in my opinion.

If you do the DSB in the refugium, you can change it out if needed. However, critics using the "sink" theory claim that a refugium actually collects the bad stuff quicker and is useless. CC could also be used, but you would have to vacuum it frequently. To my knowledge, heavy metals, phosphates, etc. would still become bound in the substrate.

My 55g reef has 100 lbs of LR, 4" DSB and a refugium. The only mechanical filtration I have is a hang-on Skimmer. I have a healthy community of PODs and an active DSB. My tank has been this way for several months now and is still maintaining perfect water conditions of which I test weekly. Between the PODs, Nassarius, and Cerith Snails, my DSB gets a lot of movement. I think that is an important factor to keeping the DSB stable. I do worry about the anarobic areas, but when I am doing water-changes every other week, I try to poke them around a bit. I think it helps.

Howard

My theory (and thoery only) in that any dual role refugium is a good refugium. Any substrate; DSB, SSB, CC, with or without a plenum, is a nutrient sink of sorts. But any substrate is also maintainable. The easiest IMO to maintain would be the DSB as if the above addage is true it will nutrient overload slower than a shallow bed as well as maintain with enough critters to sort through and clean up for you. By dual role refugium I mean both a nutrient sink with maintained macro algeas and an area free of predation to raise more critters to maintain your bed. There of course are other benefits of a refugium but these being the most important. Alas, I am sure there are drawbacks to a fuge as well though just as there are arguments for and against any other substrate. In my limited experience I have found that besically any setup can be maintained properly and sucessfully. But also in that limited experience I have discovered the DSB, good amount of rock, fuge, and a skimmer is a beautiful thing. Look around at your peers for proof.

Pay particular attention to fishtender's post with regard to an active DSB. You'll need critters to keep the DSB stirred up.

Back
Top Bottom