Refugium help please

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ree4

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have a 72 G bow front--not drilled and no overflow. I don't have a sump. I would like to add a 20G fuge with the water line a few inches above my main tank water line. On another forum I was advised to drill the 20 G near the top and install a 90 elbow facing up for drain and gravity feed my main tank Then use a power head to pump from my main to the fuge.

Does this sound OK?? I sure would like some more input on this. I have not purchased the 20 G tank yet, so I hope I have some options. I also I am not sure of best power head to use or how to plumb it...I'm pretty new at adding anything to my main tank.

Thank you for taking the time to help me.

I have both my refugiums drilled and have them drain back to my sumps. As long as the fuge is higher then the tank it will work and is better to have gravity then a PH pump it back.
Have the tank drilled and get a bulkhead and plumb that back to the tank.
I have mine drilled in the middle of the back.

Should I mount the pump near the water line on my main tank to avoid flood in fuge in case flow from fuge gets plugged for some reason??

They sell plastic screen type devices that fit in the end of the elbow so there are no chances of getting something in the over flow. You could do that all depends on if you want to see it or not.
Before you drill the tank make sure its not tempered glass. On most tanks the bottom is tempered and the sides are regular.

Where does everyone get their tanks drilled. I need to look into building a new fuge and want to get it drilled.

call your local glass shop around here right in bolingbrook (which i know ya familiar) they charge $15 a hole :)
do you have a dremel ive seen many do it them selfs with good luck :)

$15 a hole thats cheap. They get 30-50 here. My buddy just bought a diamond tip 1 3/4" hole saw bit and he is going to drill his own holes on his 180.

Back
Top Bottom