refugium lights

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

supermarvin76

Aquarium Advice Freak
What kind of lighting is needed for my refugium? Is a regular 17w aquarium florescent alright? If not what should I use?

Also, will algae grow in the refug that is not wanted? Such as on the glass. If so, should I, or can I keep a snail or 2 in there to help?

supermarvin76 said:
What kind of lighting is needed for my refugium? Is a regular 17w aquarium florescent alright? If not what should I use?

this light will be fine depending on plkanned refugium size. one of my refugia has a 50/50 normal output flouro and the other has a daylight (10000k) PC. i believe any decent amount of light will suffice. it depends on what algae you plan to keep. i have chaetomorpha which is very undemanding.

Also, will algae grow in the refug that is not wanted? Such as on the glass. If so, should I, or can I keep a snail or 2 in there to help?

you will get "undesiable" algae groing in the refugium. IMO this is a good thing that should be encouraged, not discouraged by adding snails. the microalgae in the fuge will outcompete any that try to grow in the display tank.
i do keep about a dozen really tiny snails in the fuge to clean up a little but i dont want it scraoed clean as an astrea margarita or other snail might do.
occasionally i will admit to putting a snail from the main tank into the refugia for a weekend-long algae binge :)

Back
Top Bottom