refugium location

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pool_dude

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi,

This is my first post here. I have a question regarding refugium locations. I am considering establishing a refugium right below my tank, so i wont be utilizing the overflow and a single powerhead but rather two powerheads, one to pump the water to the refugium and one to pump water from the refugium to the tank. Now, I want to grow copepods and amphipods for my fish, however the problem that bothers me is whether the powerhead that moves water from the refugium to the tank will chop the copepods and the amphipods(?). I do understand that copepods and amphipods will go through a filter and a powerhead even when i place it at the top, but does an extra powerhead accelerate the death of copepods and amphipods? For anyone who replies to the post, thanks for your help.

PS I also read the article about refugiums here.

Pooldude

:BIG: Welcome to AA

Why are you not using a U tube arrangement off the back of the tank to get water to the refugium?
If the return pumps fails you will flood the floor

Many pods will make it back to the display tank through a pump.
Making them go through twice will cut their chances.

From the article here titled Sumps Explained

"The overflow uses a siphon to pull the water out of the tank and down the plumbing into the sump. Hang on style overflows use what is called a "U" or "J" tube. This is because of the shape. The tank side of the overflow has "fingers" that strain the water (very coarse items only), these fingers also are adjustable so you can set the water level you want the tank to maintain. Once the siphon is created the water will be pulled up and over the side of the tank via the "U/J" tube. It will then flow down the plumbing into your sump. Your sump pump then pumps water back up into the tank"

Back
Top Bottom