refugium or magic mud question?????

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

thepirate

Aquarium Advice Regular
hi, i have been recommended the magic mud system of filtration within a sump tank but i cannot find any info on this. is the magic mud system refering to a refugium???
this bit is really confusing me!!

cheers

mark

dont worry :), the sump and refugium "thing" is confusing to most everyone. yes people use magic mud in their refugium. no i dont think anyone puts anything but hardware (heaters, etc) in their "sump" unless it is a dual purpose "sump/refugium" like my system's.
i didnt add mircale mud or any biosediment or anything. just plain sugar-grain coral sand and a scoop of LS from my display tank. fuge is doing great. then again, i only have Chaetomorpha sp. in there, so it is easy to maintain.
i say go with a DSB of the finest coral-based sand you can find in the fuge. be sure to rinse it first :D
the finer it is the better for denitrifying bacteria. maybe even look into a plenum filter in the fuge. this is where you use the plate to a undergravel filter to create an oxygen-freen water zone under the DSB. make it like 6" deep if you can afford it.

hope this helped...

plenum

thanks for the advice hat has cleared up a few things however could you explain the plenum theroy a bit more please....

i will be looking at using the sump tank in sections, do you think it would be good to have both a biolagical filtration system (bio balls) and a refuge system?

cheers

mark

i removed my biological HOB filter when i added the sump/fuge. it became unnecessary. i dont think you need to use any other filter as long as you are skimming. the fuge will serve as a detritus settling chamber which is all that any biofilter would be doing anyway.
the plenum thing - im new to it too...maybe someone else can go into more detail aobut it...
all i know is you put the plate for the UG filter under the sandbed but you never acutally run the filter. the plate will create a "dead" waterspace for water full of nitrates to go and get denitrifyed.
bes description i can give...sorry

hope this helps.

Back
Top Bottom