Refugium Pics

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ellisz

Aquarium Advice Addict
Can anyone that has a refugium, post a pic? I am looking at different options including a drop in refuge into my current 20gal sump and I have seen a few complete units on ebay that look ok but it is had to visualize them set up sometimes.

Any one got pics they want to share?

Thanks

I set this one up about a month ago and have been pretty happy with it.

The wall the tank is on has a closet on the opposite side. I cut a hole in the wall and put the fuge in the closet. I used rubber maid tubs w/ bulk heads installed into them for the containers. Pretty simple design. The power head (in the sump) pushes the water into the top fuge which flows into the bottom one. The bottom fuge then flows back into the sump where the water is pushed back into the main tank.

In pic #2 you can see the flow being routed into the wall, then the return pipe next to it.

That didnt post all of the pics, and it posted them in the wrong order. oh well. They were suppose to be posted opposite of what they showed up. Here is the pic.

I used a zip tool. It looks like of like a dremmel w/ a drill bit in the end of it, but I'm sure you could just use a dremmel if you have one.

nice pics!

So is your refuge under the tank and the other 2 tubs behind the wall are your sump?

I am doing a similar set up with a closet in my basement. I will be moving my tank downstairs and I will have everything behind the wall except for the tank.

Any other DIY setups out there? I have an additional 15 gal of water capacity in my sump. Not really sure I want a huge tub for a sump but I had really planned on doing water changes via the sump. If I put the refugium in the sump, that won't be able to happen. Maybe I need to find a way to have them separate using different containers.

Actually, I have mine the other way around. The sump is under the tank and the two large tubs are my fuge. That way I have more water volume in my fuge than in my sump, which means more room for macro's and a DSB.

Squishy

Squishy: Do you have different things in the 2 tubs? Just wonder why 2 different tubs.

Sacrementofish: That looks like what I was originally planing with a 20 gal. Did you use acrylic or glass for your dividers?

Heres mine.made from a 30 gal. tank and $5 worth of plexi-glass

ellisz said:
Squishy: Do you have different things in the 2 tubs? Just wonder why 2 different tubs.

Sacrementofish: That looks like what I was originally planing with a 20 gal. Did you use acrylic or glass for your dividers?

Well, The top one is mainly for Macro's. The bottome one has some macro in it, but more than half of it is in the dark. When are your pods most active....at night right? I wanted them to be as active as possible and reproduce as quickly as possible. So one is very brightly lit and the other is mostly shaded.

Squishy

Nice pics all.

Squishy: That is interesting. My main goal for my refuge is for pods for my mandarin.

Back
Top Bottom