Refugium's

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

binaryterror

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hey. I am getting all set up for my new reef tank and I was wondering if I should make my old 25 gallon tank a fuge for my 55 gallon? What does the fuge do? How is it better than some filters? What do you put in there? Thanks for any help given!!

Fuges are a safe place to put injured corals and fish.It also act as a safe place where fish food such as amphipods and coepods can reproduce. If you have light you can keep marine algae such as calurpa and halimeda, and some mangroves too. You can add more live rock to the tank to increase bio-logical filtration(espeacially if you use a tank like yours).It wiill also lincrease how much water there is in the tank to your tank would be 25 gallons bigger(it would be 80 GALLONS!!!).So I you add a fuge it would be really beneficial. :)

Can I put my my Skimmer and little things like that on the Fuge so it doesnt ugly up the real tank? Like oput the heat's in there and all.

Since your fuge is big enough I say go for it, you can but the heater and other stuff like thermometers in there too, but this is only okay because you have a large refugium.

Can I use the fuge as a QT for new fish?

The likn helped alot but I dont really know what to look for in a pump. How does the water go into the fuge? I know a pump brings it back up but what about down?

no, you cannot use the fuge to treat with medicene, it will find its way to the main tank. But you can put harrassed and stressed fish in there. I have not idea what to use to connect the fuge..personally I know alot about them but I have never had one :lol:

There is a ton of information written about how to set up a fuge and/or a sump. Is your tank drilled? If not, you will need to either have it drilled or look to get an overflow box.

Try www.marinedepot for your overflow box. They aren't cheap. You might find a better price on www.ebay.com. You will also need a pump to return the water from the fuge back into the main tank. Make sure that pump is a lesser capacity (GPH) than the overflow box otherwise you could pump too fast into the main and it will overflow. Fuge's are easy to set up.

binaryterror said:
http://www.championlighting.com/product.php?productid=17600&cat=405&page=1 if I get that, what else will I need? I dont understand what an overflow box is!?!?!

You will need a sump, a return pump and all the plumbing between the two. Plumbing consists of hose from overflow to sump and line from return pump back to tank with whatever kind of return nozzle you may use.

OK slow down for a second.

I have been hesitant to respond to this one because there is no easy answer, but here goes.

First check out this post which will show you one very good design on how to build your own sump/fuge and is basically what I followed:

http://aquariumadvice.com/viewtopic.php?t=53046

You can use any size tank and then adjust the plan to fit. I would not recomend anything smaller than a 20L for your tank.

You will need an overflow and a pump and a container to function as the sump(can be abother aquarium or even a rubbermaid tub). The key is to get an overflow that is rated to handle at least the volume of water your pump is returning and preferably more. Remember to look at the rating for the height you will be pumping usually 3-4'. This is where some get confused. It does not matter how much the overflow is rated for as it will not drain more from you tank than what you are pumping back into it.

Ideally you want to have at least ten to twenty times the tank volume for a flow rate. In your case you would want 550-1200gph flow. This can be accomplished with the sump pump, power heads or better yet a combination. So if you get a sump pump that is rated 600gph your overflow box needs to be at least 600gph and probably more. I use a rio 3100 which is rated about 800gph and can be obtained for less than $70.

The overflow box is basically a device which creates a constant siphon from your tank to your sump and then the pump returns it to the tank. If you get a good one the sipohon will restart on its own if the power goes out. Otherwise the sump could overflow or the main oveflowing once the power comes back on if the sipon does ot restart. So the pump and overflow you do not want to be cheap with. This is why I opted for a predrilled tank since it was about time to upgrade anyway. I have heard the CPR models are very good, but cannot speak from experience as I do not have one. I priced these at the LFS for $100-150 for the highly rated models, but I am sure you caqn find them cheaper online.

The sump itself can be a very simple tub or something more complex like in the link above. The sump basically just increases the water volume of your sytem and provides a place to put unsightly equipment like filters, heater, skimmers etc. A sump can also be a fuge or contain a fuge area which can be lighted to propogate pods, corals, or house other critters that might be devoured in the main. For example I keep LT rubble and grape clapura with a DSB in mine to help reduce nitrates and produce pods. I also keep a light on mine 24/7 which helps reduce PH swing. The other big benefit of a sump/fuge is that it adds water vo,ume to your system. The more water you have the more stable it will likely be.

So in simplistic terms you are creating a loop in which water is drained from your main tank via the siphon (overflow) to a sump. Flows throught the sump (and fuge if you opt for one) and is then is returned to the main via a pump. The water in the main does not overflow because it is being drained at the rate it is pumped into the main by the overfloe box.

Now one final caution. You do not fill your sump all the way up. When you initially set up your sump you need to conduct a couple of power outage tests. If set up properly when the poer goes out you main should drain down to a point where the siphon breaks and all the water should fit in the sump. When the power starts back up the siphon should re-establish and the system keeps running.

It seems real complicated, but once you play with it really it is not. Personally I waited two years before setting up a sump/fuge and wish I would have done it from the start.

Here are a couple of related threads:

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/viewtopic.php?t=65613&highlight=

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/viewtopic.php?t=62045&highlight=

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/viewtopic.php?t=65122&highlight=

Bottom line, some of your questions cannot be answered. You need to do some reseacrh and figure out what is best for you system.

HTH,

Back
Top Bottom