Regular People Seafood

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
G

Has someone had a good experience adding just regular fish (chopped in small pieces), shrimp, crustaceans from the supermarket/asian wet markets to feed your fish buddies?

Is it cheaper and more nutritious? Can I just buy a pound of fish at $2.99/lb and a pound of regular shrimp at $3.99/pound from the market and feed that? I can probably prep that into servings then freeze them. Then thaw the servings out.

Any takers on that idea (which is probably common knowledge to the hobby to begin with :) )?

There are many recipes on the net for home made fish food that include various seafood items ground up into a fine paste. Search around and you're sure to find one. I'd probably make sure to add vitamins (Selcon), garlic and nori to the blender mush you make to ensure that the fish are getting a well rounded diet.

You would also need to verify that the product was never boiled/baked/fried/anything in any other sauces/spices/additives. It can be cooked (boiled), but so long as it wasn't cooked *in* anything. Grease, spices - brings joy to my tastebuds but not so much to your chunk of the ocean.

It is best to find raw...cooking removes alot of the vitamins and nutrients in foods.

I live in a rural area and sometimes have a difficult time finding fresh seafood. I most often buy bagged raw frozen cocktail shrimp. My eels eat them whole, my other fish devour them after I chop them up a bit. Other frozen foods I have tried that work are codfish and scallops. (the oils in the cod make your skimmer go crazy for a day or two).

Super walmart has something they call a "seafood delight" which is a mix of crab, squid,shrimp, scallops, just about anything they can find to toss in there....this is a great item for blender mush...it is in their seafood counter, no prepackaged.

Back
Top Bottom