Relocating a Mushroom Leather

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SparKy697

Aquarium Advice Addict
I have a mushroom leather that is on a rock in a qt tank. I do not want to put this rock in my tank because of other things that are growing on the rock. Do any of you know if there is a way of removing or persuading this leather off of the current rock?

img_973187_0_901f6c66b73f8026777c4f956e70b8b2.jpg

if you can't figure out a way to get it off of the rock, try to get everything else off. What is on there that you don't want?

if you can't figure out a way to get it off of the rock, try to get everything else off. What is on there that you don't want?

I agree. Scrub the rest of the rock off. You`ll need to cut it off the rock and then reglue it to another rock with super glue gel. It will be shedding and very hard to glue on. When I fragged my finger leather I sewed it on the rock. Still I think it would be easier to scrub the rock.

There is some green bubble algae as well as a coat of what I can best describe as looking like green dust algae. This rock/coral came from a tank I bought. It has a lot of things I would like to keep out of my tank. While I can surely clean off the rock, I was hoping to go with a new piece of base rock to minimize the risk of bringing new things into my tank.

It seems that everything I read says that this is not easily done.... I was just hoping some of you have had better results.

Dont get me wrong it can be done. I have fragged several leather corals. The fragging part is not hard just the glueing part. I used thread like I said.

Just take a good new clean straight razor and cut it at the base of the coral . Take some super glue and glue it on then take a rubber band and band it on . For good measure place it in a small dish or soap dish (depending on size ) and let it in there for a couple weeks it should naturally attach ,,then move it from the dish to where you want it . .. If you want and have an area to where you want it in your tank cut it and wedge it in between rocks do not place it in direct flow but gentle flow and in a couple weeks time it should have attached . One thing I have found that after cutting you may get another.And if you dip it in Iodine ( 1 part iodine to 10 parts water I think) it will help stay off infection ..

Back
Top Bottom