Remora Surface skimmer

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Boxster

Aquarium Advice Freak
My Remora seems to be very sensitive to the water level. I have the surface box and everytime when I siphon some detris in my tank, my Remora foam/bubbles will lower itself down to the bottom of the neck. It will takes a 2-3 hours again for it to collect skimmate in the cup again. Is this expected?
My Remora also seems pretty inefficient. It will only collect about 1/2 inch of brown stuff a week. My tank is currently going through cyano boom now and I don't think it is lacking of nutrients.

My Remoras don't seem to notice much difference in the water level. I'm not using surface skimmers on any of them though. Have you tried lowering the cup a little? One of mine, on a heavily loaded tank, needs to be emptied every two days max. If lowering the water level affects it that much, perhaps you could cut it off when your removing water and start it back up once the water is topped off.

With the surface skimmer it will be sensitive to water level. Because as you pull water out of the tank the water will get blow the bottom of the top finger strainers on the skimmer box. When water cant enter the skimmer overflow box it cant be pumped into the skimmer body.

The skimmer box reinforces you to maintain proper water levels in your tank to keep the water level above the bottom of the skimmer strainer fingers.

Cyano can be caused by a list of things and some of them would have no effect on the amound of skim produced.

Rase and lower your skimmer cup if you wan tit to produce more skim. The lower you make the cup the more watered down the skim will be.

My skimmer cup is all the way down, but it does not have any skimmate for the last 3 days. And for the last 2 weeks, it is very inefficient. 1" of skimmate for a week.The foam kept its level half way the tube, but never seem to go up further. Anyone has any experience of this?
I have adjust my ph position, clean the skimmer but to no avail. Granted my algae issue, I don't think its has nothing to pull out. I am ready to replace my Remora.

Have you ever cleaned the spray nozzle? Can you see if the spray nozzle is injecting the water like it used to inorder to get a good frothly mix of water and air?

What powerhead do you have?

Back
Top Bottom