Remote Aquarium Monitoring

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bromion

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hi all,

Going away for a few days made me think that some form of remote monitoring and limited control could be set up for my aquarium. The first key element would be a webcam showing the tank. That part is easy, but would give some peace of mind to the traveler that the tank is running correctly (timers working, nothing catastrophic happening).

I'd also like a web-interface that shows the status of various pumps, powerheads, lights, etc., and the option to turn them on and off. For this, I would require some PC-interfaced outlet control, which would allow for basic ON/OFF check and set for the devices.

Imagine you leave home for a long weekend, you check in on your tank's webcam, and find that the MH lighting system is running 24/7 (broken timer!). It would be nice to turn it off via the web. Or one of your powerheads has become dislodged... disable it remotely. Even operate a remote feeder!

Any ideas on products I should look for? X10? Anyone done something similar with their setup?

Jason

i'm gonna have to leave for 10 days in about 2 weeks and i thought about the same

For mechanical system in buildings they have monitoring equipment for pumps and valves, which relays a signal to a computer and from the computer you can close and open valve and turn pumps on and off. They also have a way to control this remotely from a central monitoring station via the phone lines i believe, rather expensive system though

Check w/a local aquarium, I would have to imagine they have something similar and can point you in the right direction (for a much smaller version).

For mechanical system in buildings they have monitoring equipment for pumps and valves, which relays a signal to a computer and from the computer you can close and open valve and turn pumps on and off. They also have a way to control this remotely from a central monitoring station via the phone lines i believe, rather expensive system though

melosu58 said:
To me nothing beats a friend who will come over and check it out.
Couldn’t agree more :D It’s useless knowing what’s going on with your tank if nobody is there to correct it. Turning off a light or ph is ok but what if a bunch of snails die or an anemone decides to kamikaze into a ph and fouls up the tank?

Teaching the basics like checking chemicals, top off, feeding, & PWC in emergencies doesn’t take long and having a backup friend or two (or spouse) is critical. You wouldn’t leave the dog unattended for 4+ days so don’t do it to your fish.

Back
Top Bottom