Removing sps.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ChiTownRomeo

Aquarium Advice Freak
some are going to say "Ummm why do you wanna do that" But I have some Blue Polyp Digitata and they have completely covered the top section of my tank. How can you remove some once it has encrusted the rock? Want to remove about 5 inches worth and frag them off and make room for other corals.

Agreed. Bone cutters. This will allow you to trim it the way you would like it to look in your tank.

Most SPS also like high flow and they grow harder skeletons in this conditions and typically you can't "just break pieces off"

Even my birds nest is like stone. I'd probably do more harm to the animal if I tried pinching and snapping it off. Bone cutters.

Bone cutters are another great option and what I personally use. But there are people who use equipment like dremels and even different types of saws. There hasn't been anything said about using this equipment under water...

I have the 5ft dremel extender to keep my motor out of the water and my diamomd tile saw in water. Honestly it's silly the bone cutter makes great sense for all encrusted pieces. Slowly cutting underwater a calcium skeleton doesn't make sense when there's easier options. I have fragged encrusted acans/favia with the dremel but this is sps

Back
Top Bottom