removing the top plastic rim on aquarium

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mr funktastic

Aquarium Advice Addict
this may be a dumb question. but i have a 30 gal long reef tank. i much prefer the look of a rimless tank. but can you just remove the top plastic rim? or will the tank not hold together? anyone have any experience with this? thanks.

this may be a dumb question. but i have a 30 gal long reef tank. i much prefer the look of a rimless tank. but can you just remove the top plastic rim? or will the tank not hold together? anyone have any experience with this? thanks.

I've had friends remove the plastic on a 20L the tank is fine. I can't recommend it though... All I can say is she has no issues with the tank yet....

Would I do it? Probably not. If I wanted rimless I would have bought one. I do like the look though... I have a canopy so it wouldn't matter either way.

see mine is open top. i have a clamp on style light mount that doesn't need the rim. i have never seen a rimless tank for sale around me except for acrylic and they are wicked expensive.

Your not supposed to I wouldnt. Its their to keep the tank from bowing and eventually breaking apart. Rimless tanks are made to be rimless.

Back
Top Bottom