Replace Glass lid part

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ogden10

Aquarium Advice Freak
Not really sure what section is the best place to post this, so will just do it here. Sure a mod will move it if need be...

Anyway, I have a 72g bowfront Oceanic tank. One of my glass lids broke, but only the back portion of the glass (behing the hinge, the non curved part). Does anyone know if you can order just this piece? Also I need the plastic part the attached to this and reaches the back of the tank, and can not seem to find those listed anywhere????

Any thanks would be appreciated as my Zebra moray I have been waiting on showed up early, and would hate to find him on the floor any time!

I was just getting ready to say that you would be better off not having a glass top but never mind I see why now. I had a snowflake for a while so I under stand. I know you can get them pretty cheap at Petsmart. I`m talking the whole set up for about 20 dollars. At least I did here.

Other then heat issues why would one not want a glass lid. I have wondered in the past if the glass actually disrupts some of the light getting through also..... As you say though, I have found a crusty stick-o-snowflake-eel on my floor before. I am really fond of this Zebra and would prefer to keep him in the tank :rolleyes:

Thanks for the petsmart advice...I think I will run there on lunch today and see what I can find.

It can make it hard to keep a decent pH as well. Some folks use egg crate for a lid.

It can make it hard to keep a decent pH as well. Some folks use egg crate for a lid.

Huh, I did not know that....wonder why that is...perhaps something about evaporation. Also I like the glass lids so I don't have to top off the tank every day.

No, it has to do with the O2 exchange. That's where it happens in SW, at the surface of the water, the more ripple, the better the O2 exchange. A lid tends to trap the heat and should reduce the evaporation.

As Scott said you aerate your tank at the surface. Glass lids promote poor gas exchange at the surface causing low PH. I had to deal with it when I had my eel. They are excellent escape artist.

I was just getting ready to say that you would be better off not having a glass top but never mind I see why now. I had a snowflake for a while so I under stand. I know you can get them pretty cheap at Petsmart. I`m talking the whole set up for about 20 dollars. At least I did here.

Darn, just got back from petsmart and no luck....they only sell the whole tops, and don't have any for 72 bowfronts. I wonder does anyone know who makes them and I can try them directly.

Try the manufacturer, if they won't sell it, they can probably tell you where to get them.

Try the manufacturer, if they won't sell it, they can probably tell you where to get them.

Great minds....LOL

Just called Oceanic and they were nice enough to give me the part number for the plastic backing, but they do not sell it direct and I need to find someone to order it for me. Back to the drawing board. I am just going to have the glass cut at a local glass place I think.

Oh man do I feel your pain!! I have the same problem....I need a replacement lid for my 72 bowfront and can't find anywhere to order a replacement.

I just decided to have the glass cut at a local glass joint, and was able to find the plastic back section at a LFS for $10. It was weird how hard it was to find this darn thing....

Back
Top Bottom