Residual Algae Problem

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

awillemd1

Aquarium Advice Activist
I think I have finally stopped or severly slowed algae from growing in my tank, but my liverock is now coated with half dead brown algae. :( What steps, if any, should I take next. It started with Ich, two fish died and weren't recovered from the liverock (I was on vacation - long story). Anyway I have taken many measures since then, including removing all the phosphate using a phosphate sponge (level is now below 0.03), cut down on light period - 4 hours per day, increased circulation in the tank, and increased water changes with RO water. Now I appear to have no more algae growth, but my liverock is coated with what appears to be mostly dead algae. My snails are helping some, but at this rate it will be the end of the year before my liverock is cleaned. Any advice would be most welcome on what I should do next. :?

Thanks in advance.

yea, scrape of the heaviest spots just before doing a water change, and try and siphon out as much of what you scraped off as you can. let your snails handle the rest.

I would suggest that when you're ready to return to a normal light schedule, do slow gradualy over time. increase the time by say an hour every 4 or 5 days until you're back to your normal schedule.

Thank you BillyZ! I had read that about increasing the light period slowly before, but I had forgotten it. :D I am surprised no one suggested buying more snails. I had considered this, but was concerned that they wouldn't have anything to eat once the algae was gone.

Back
Top Bottom