residue/film

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

geckofrog

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hey guys, I put in instant ocean into my 55 gallon tank, mixed it all up according to the directions, etc. I woke this morning and their was a think film on the outsides of the glass. I did have 2 airstones in the water to airate it. I was wondering why this happened? All levels are in optimal specs.

Did you add the salt directly to the tank? or did you mix it first, then add it?

Alright, tell me a little more about your tank. Is there rock, sand or any inhabitants in the tank? If it is empty, it is not a big problem at this time, it just needs to circulate alot more. BUT, don't do it again!!! ;)

Always premix the salt in buckets or a big rubbermaid container before adding it to your tank. It should be done 24 hours in advance. During this time, you should have a powerhead circulating and in colder weather, a heater.

Its a 55 Gallon Tank, nothing in it, but a 200 watt heater, 500 GPH powerhead, water. Thats it, I just set it up the other day (sunday) and wanted to set it up to be able to put live things in it around Juneish.

I've done this before, with about 7 other tanks and havent had this problem. I seriously see no reason to mix it in a bucket if your just setting your tank up, now if its established thats a different story. Just curious about the residue/film, (if I got a bad batch of instant ocean, etc.)

The reason I would give you is precisely the problem you are having. 500 gph powerhead is not getting the job done in that large of a space. In a smaller container it would mix it more vigorously and you wouldnt have the residue. I am sure that in time, the residue will blend in.

There is always a possibility of a bad batch of salt, but I think it is more likely just not mixed.

Back
Top Bottom