Return plumbing for a frag tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sillyfishies

Aquarium Advice Addict
I'm a bit confused on return plumbing because my 90g tank isn't drilled for return. I just got a new frag tank and it's drilled for return. It doesn't come with bulk heads or anything. The holes are 1".

I'm not sure what to use for the line that goes inside the tank. The loc-line stuff is really expensive and I don't even know what I need. Also, I'm on a budget. I don't need it to look nice.

So what do I use for the in-tank part of the return line?

So is the drain set up with an overflow? Why are there 2 return line holes?

If you don't care much about looks and want to keep it simple, just get bulkheads and some locline. It's really not that much, should be around $15 per hole, and then get some flexible braided tubing which is probably around $2/ft...

So is the drain set up with an overflow? Why are there 2 return line holes?

If you don't care much about looks and want to keep it simple, just get bulkheads and some locline. It's really not that much, should be around $15 per hole, and then get some flexible braided tubing which is probably around $2/ft...
One return hole and one drain hole. I just dont know what locline fittings I need. I decided to just use both holes for drains and then do an over the rim return thing.

Well if you're going to just do an up and over, you can do something like this:

Pick up as much braided tubing you'll need, then connect one end to the pump, and the other end to this:

The above piece will screw into this piece:

The above piece will click into this piece:

And then the above piece will click into this end piece:

Get some Teflon tape for the screw together pieces, and then what I did was use some adhesive zip tie holders on the rim of the tank to keep it all secure...

Back
Top Bottom