Ricordea mucus???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

stagert86

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I just recently purchased (about 3 weeks ago) an orange ricordea and as of yesterday and this morning it is shriveled a little and covered in mucus. The color still looks great. There are some zoanthus nearby but not close enough to touch. Any thoughts? Is it dying or gathering food?
Ph 8.2
Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 10-15
Calcium 480
Alkalinity 8
Phosphates 0
Temp 80
Tank has been running for 3 years or more.
I'll try to get a photo this afternoon.

Same thing happened to one of mine but I think my anemone got at it . It did loose color but has since recovered .

Hopefully mine will recover too.. just checked on it and there isn't any mucus anymore but it is still really shriveled up.

They do this when there is a sudden change, it isn't feeding. Might be a burn from another coral or a tank fluctuation, usually they do the burning as they are fairly aggressive.
Might recover, but if more start doing the same thing, you need to look deeper into it.

It's the only ricordea I have right now. I did just do a large water change. That was probably it. Not used to my other corals acting that way with water change!!! Just got a little worried since it was new.

Thanks!

I have a tank (125) that is overrun over by them, and due to the same problem with my nems, the nems touch the ricordia but they do not shrivel up. Mine are also in high lighting, they spread like weeds.

Awesome so they don't take long to spread out? I love the bright orange and would love for them to grow like a weed!

Holygral said:
I would give them away if someone close wanted some, mine did nothing for years now they are weeds

Well where are you? Im sure someone could would happily take them off your hands.

Yeah. Me too. I'd almost pay for shipping even :p cheapest ricordias at my lfs are 15$

Yeah I would. Mine gets mad and doesn't open when it gets too much light. Try moving it to a little less light.

Light isn't the problem IMO, they tend to vary in size in response, shaded ones are big, ones in direct light are small. Up to a point when at about 400 PAR they start moving away. Mushrooms grow in all sorts of light conditions and flow. I suggest it is a water quality problem.
They do grow like weeds when they are in the right conditions.

Attachments

• image-3151742670.jpg
    image-3151742670.jpg
    221.9 KB · Views: 70
Last edited:
I'm not sure what kind of water quality problem I could have. I have some cyano but not much at all. I've tested a couple times since I posted y water perimeters and they are the same...

Back
Top Bottom