ro/di alternative?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Travis55

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I don't have an ro/di yet, I'm wondering if there is an alternative to ro/di water. Is there a water at say target or walmart that is truely pure? I just use water conditioner for my freshwater tank but conditioner doesn't take metal deposits I guess. Anything I can do???

Thanks

Travis

I think it's the best $65 you can spend. Have you seen this unit?

eBay - New & used electronics, cars, apparel, collectibles, sporting goods & more at low prices

I use the same one myself for all my tanks. It's portable so you can either hook it up to your faucet or garden hose and then put it away. It gives me 0 ppm of tds in my water, no nitrates or phosphates. And best of all, no more lugging buckets to the store! LOL

It is a smaller unit so the filters are only good for so long, but I got 6 months of use out of the first set of filters and the replacements were $28. BUT I make far more water than you will so it should last much longer.

Before I got the ro/di unit I was lugging water from the Publix supermarket from their ro/di machine. It was checked weekly and had a dual stage di on it so I felt good about using it. It cost 30 cents a gallon but it was a pain to go every week.

I think it's the best $65 you can spend. Have you seen this unit?

eBay - New & used electronics, cars, apparel, collectibles, sporting goods & more at low prices

I use the same one myself for all my tanks. It's portable so you can either hook it up to your faucet or garden hose and then put it away. It gives me 0 ppm of tds in my water, no nitrates or phosphates. And best of all, no more lugging buckets to the store! LOL

It is a smaller unit so the filters are only good for so long, but I got 6 months of use out of the first set of filters and the replacements were $28. BUT I make far more water than you will so it should last much longer.

Before I got the ro/di unit I was lugging water from the Publix supermarket from their ro/di machine. It was checked weekly and had a dual stage di on it so I felt good about using it. It cost 30 cents a gallon but it was a pain to go every week.

I can score a ro for $25. It needs new filters but I don't know the firat thing on finding replacements...

The filters may run you another $30 or more. :-( Plus the di is important too so I would go with a unit that has both RO and DI. You want as much total dissolved solids removed from the water as possible..

Carey with this filter do I need any extra parts. I will more than likely hook it up to a water house since I only had 40gallon tank.

The one I linked, nope. Just when you order make sure you tell them you want the garden hose adaptor. they give you your choice of one adaptor for free. The hoses are all included for each filter and the filters are of course included. I've had very good luck with mine. I make over 40g of water a week usually too. For an extra liek $10 or $15 you should get a tds meter. It will tell you when it's time to replace the filters. It's also good to test ypur tap water so you can see all the extra gunk that is in the water.

My tap water has 243ppm of TDS in it and my unit produces 0 tds. So a BIG difference there

Stupid question but... Do you have to remove chlorine from rodi or does the rodi take care of that too?

I've got the unit that Carey is talking about. Best investment I ever made!! I have it plumbed to my storage vat with the float valve and I make water every week while I am doing my water changes on all of the tanks. It is great!! Also got the tds so it tells you where you are with the RO/DI and also the condition of your filters. Using it on my 20gal long DT and the QT. Got my cleaning crew in the new DT about a month ago and have a Royal Gramma in QT now that arrived yesterday. So glad I got the RO/DI, no more lugging buckets and fighting nuisance algae!!

Stupid question but... Do you have to remove chlorine from rodi or does the rodi take care of that too?
The carbon filter before the RO membrane removes the chlorine. Chlorine will destroy a RO membrane which is why you should change your prefilters (carbon and sediment) every 6 months to a year depending on how much water you make.

Back
Top Bottom