RO/DI help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Boxster

Aquarium Advice Freak
I posted this last week and heard no response, so I am reposting it again. I really need help in knowing the setup before I buy.

The setup I envision is that I want to have RO water for drinking, and RO/DI for the tank. In this case, I need a T-valve between the RO and DI cartridges right? Also, since I have 2 water output, do I need to have 2 storage tank, one for RO and one for RO/DI? Normally, I just saw the system only comes with 1 tank.

Also, if I am using the in-line Adapter for the cold water pipe, do I really need to cut the copper pipe to fit in the in-line adapter? What is the advantages of using Garden Hose adapter?

Sorry for asking so many questions, I really need your help. I am not similar with all these.

As long as you use a float valve on the DI container, you won't have to have a valve to switch from RO to DI. It will automatically keep everything full. You will need to have two containers...one pressure tank for drinking water and one non-pressure tank for DI water. I use a 55gal food grade plastic drum. You'll have a check valve on the RO drinking water pressure tank that will keep it from backflowing into the DI chamber. When you pull some water from the DI, the float valve will actuate the shut off solenoid and refill it till the float shuts it off again. You could set it up with a T valve, but the automatic system would be much easier on you.
Which adapter you use depends on where you intend to put the system. If you want it under your sink, you should be able to remove the line going to the cold side of the faucet. Screw the adapter on the end of the shut off valve for your sink and reattach the line to the faucet...no cutting anywhere. Another option would be to use the garden hose adapter and mount the unit close to your washing machine. Buy one of the Y hose adapters at the hardware store and put it on the valve for the washer. Attach the washer line to one side of it and the RO/DI unit to the other. You could still mount the RO drinking water tank under the sink. You'd just have to run the small line through the floor and back up into the kitchen where the tank is. That way, you don't have the unit crammed under the cabinet taking up space you need for other things. It's also mounted out in the open which will make filter changes easier. You can get the Aqua FX Barracuda drinking water kit with both tanks from Aqua FX, from Darin at Captive Reefs, or from me...we all carry it. If you're looking at a different brand of unit, any of us can probably get you the needed fittings to set it up this way. HTH.

Does the float vlave come with the system? Can i use one pressure tank for the RO (the drinking kit), and then just use a 5g rubbermaid bucket to collect the DI when I need to for my fish tank?

If I connect the RO/DI system near my washing machine, I can attach the waste line from the AquaFX to the drain pipe of the washing machine right?

If you get the 40gal container, it comes with the float valve. You could just put a manual valve on the DI cartridge and use it like that to fill a small container. That would never work for me though...I'd forget about it and have water everywhere...and then my poor wife would be in jail for murder. Or, you could install the float valve in almost any container. I'd go with something larger than 5 gal though...that isn't much water. If you keep a larger container full with a heater in it, it's ready to go anytime you need it. JMHO.
Yes, you can run the drain line down the same drain your washer uses. Would work great.

i remember asking why they stated it wasnt good to drink !! and logan ya said that was nuts that you drank it as well !! but wowowowowow what a diff from what it tastes out of the sink compared to the ro/di water wont cook or drink the tap water ever again :) but asked a doc about it and he said that its not a prob !! due to the wife prego so was worried a bit

It has almost no mineral content so, by itself, it has a pretty flat taste. The mineral content gives water a little bit of flavor which is why all the drinking water systems only have RO...it leaves some minerals in the water. I think the DI water tastes fine though. Use it in your coffeemaker and never worry about the mineral deposits clogging it up. About all I use tap water for here is washing clothes and dishes.

loganj, thanks for your input. I was looking at the drain pipe from my washing machine last night. The pipe are soft black plastic kind, not PVC, going up from the bottom of my washing machine to a drain pipe I guess enclosed in the dry wall. Would I still able to pierce a hole on this soft plastic pipe for draining the RO/DI?

I just drilled a hole in my pvc sink drain pipe and glued the drain line in place.

There should be an inset in the wall for the washer hookups. The drain hose on the washer typically has a U at the top where it hooks into the house drain line. I imagine you could just stick the drain for the RO down in there beside the washer hose. I wouldn't drill or cut into the washer drain line as it does have some pressure on it when the washer is pumping water out. Pull the washer drain hose out of the drain line, stick the RO line in there, and stick the washer line back in...it should be snug enough to hold the RO drain line in place. A couple of quick ties around both hoses would insure that the RO drain didn't come out.

Back
Top Bottom