RO/DI Predicament

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ximat

Aquarium Advice Freak
I want to get an RO/DI unit so I don't have to go to the LFS for my water. Here's the deal. I can't put it inside. Absolutly no room. I could put it outside in a storage shed. However there is no running water in the shed, I would have to run a garden hose from the outdoor foscet to the shed. Has anyone done this? Are there attachments to allow this? Any particular brand/model that would allow this? I don't want anything too fancy, don't need much GPD. I'd be happy with 25-50 GPD.

TIA

Maybe you'd like to do something like what I do...
I have a RO/DI unit that I keep in the garage. When I need to make some water, I bring it in, put it on the counter and hook it up to the faucet. I have a connector for the sink faucet. Fill up whatever container and then put it back in the garage. It's really not much of a hassle unless you're gonna be using it every few days.

That sounds like a good idea Gator. I don't fully understand how a RO/DI unit works, but how long does it take to fill up your container/s?

Mine is rated at 100 GPD. It takes 2 or 3 hours to make 10 gallons which is my usual water change amount. I also have an 18 gal rubbermade container (auto topoff) that I have to fill now and then and that takes several hours. So far I haven't forgotten and had any overflows.... although I've come close.
I'm happy with my system of lugging it in and out of the garage as needed though.

I keep mine in the garage. And when I need to make some RO water, I connect it up with a garden hose. There is a garden hose connector for most RO units which use the 1/4" pipes.

Kwan - thats what Im looking to do. Did the fitting come with your equipment? I want to get a 40g garbage can to have plenty of water on hand.

Mine is a Kent Garden Tap Connector which I bought separately. However, I live in the UK and I am not sure whether the exact fitting will apply in the US. I assume there will be something similar.

The following link shows a Kent Garden Tap Connector.
http://www.aquatics-online.co.uk/listsections.asp?parent=82&seq=193&retp=81&rets=192

I can either connect this directly to a garden tap or in my case I connected another garden hose fitting so that I can fit it to the end of a garden hose.

The RO/DI that I bought on ebay has adapters for garden hose, faucet or to tap into your water supply. The unit is not all that big. Fits under the sink. It is also a 100gpd model.

FilterDirect. I got the 100gpd that didn't come with the pressure tank. We just run it for RO/DI so there's no need for the PT. Sit the bucket in the sink and in 2 hrs the bucket is full. It is in the sink because at around 2.5 hours we're turning it off. *sigh* We really need to get better at turning that off! Glad we put it in the sink though or there'd be one HECK of a mess on our floors!

The only thing I can tell you is that my DI housing is clear and refillable. I'm not sure if that is better or not but it seemed so to me. The replacements on that unit you're looking at are fairly cheap though so it doesn't look like they're gorging you on replacements. My unit gives me a good 0 after my DI stage and I'm happy with it. You may want to post the seller name/product name and see if you can get a decent response of people's opinions on that particular unit. It looks like it also has the attachments that you're looking for for garden or kitchen.

I bought the same Ro/di unit as Phyl on ebay with the hose adaptor and it works great. I mounted it on the wall in my laundry room and use the hose for the washing machine for the unit.

Back
Top Bottom