RO/DI System

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mardaman

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hey fellow reefers,

I have a couple of questions about RO/DI systems. I have a 90 gallon tank. I was told by my LFS guy that if I did do this get an RO/DI unit. So I would like some guidance from the experienced Aquarium Advice community on purchasing one of these.
What does the DI stand for?
How many gpd will work for this size aquarium?
Where is a good place to buy a good system?
Thanks

mardaman

That's wonderful that your lfs actually recommended one instead of saying buy our water lol. A great place to get one is bulkreefsupply.com especially during one of AAs group buys. Di stands for de-ionization. Good gpd is the 75 but the 150 upgrade reduces waste water and obviously doubles your output.

That's wonderful that your lfs actually recommended one instead of saying buy our water lol. A great place to get one is bulkreefsupply.com especially during one of AAs group buys. Di stands for de-ionization. Good gpd is the 75 but the 150 upgrade reduces waste water and obviously doubles your output.

So the more gpd you have on a system the less waste water it makes? I want one but can't really deal with a whole heap of waste water.

The more gpd only tells you how much clean water your unit can make in a day, I don't believe it says anything on the ratio of waste to clean water.

+1 to aquasafecanada even though my unit is around 6 years old

The more gpd only tells you how much clean water your unit can make in a day, I don't believe it says anything on the ratio of waste to clean water.

+1 to aquasafecanada even though my unit is around 6 years old

The 150 gpd upgrade is a second RO membrane which will reduce your waste water by almost half which will be around 1/2 ratio (product/waste) with the upgrade.

So the more gpd you have on a system the less waste water it makes? I want one but can't really deal with a whole heap of waste water.

You run the waste water in your washing machine or out in yard to water grass or flowers.

I have a reef 90, and bought my rodi from amazon. It's a 50 gpd and its just perfect. Super easy hook up, to hose valve in laundry room, and waste water is useful for laundry and my freshwater tank

I have a 75gpd RO/DI unit from BRS. Thats really all you need. I remember reading the percentages of stuffed removed by the membrane some where and the 75 removed like 99% and the 100gpd removed 96% i think it was. That just means you will have to replace the 100gpd filters a little more often.

Back
Top Bottom