RO/DI Water Changes Questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mgiammarco

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I just recieved my RO/DI system the other day and installed it last night. My algae problem at this point is out of control. What is the best way to begin water changes? If it was up to me I would empty the whole tank, but I know that is not the right thing to do. Do I do 10%, 20%, 50%. Also how often should I do water changes to correct my problem? I was thinking once a week??

Please advise????

When I got my RO/DI unit, I did 50% water changes every week til my hair algae was gone. Good luck.

I think multiple 50% water changes would be tougher on your system. I would recomment 20% water changes once a week, maybe twice a week until your algae problem gets under control.

I am in the same situation you are. I have a cyano problem right now, although not horrible, I am using RO/DI water now and will never go back to my tap even though it wasn't all that bad.

Good Luck!

tripper

And don't forget to toss out the first gallons it produces. The instructions should tell you how much. Mine was the first 10g.

As long as your salinity, ph and temps are the same as what's in your tank, it won't hurt your system. This is what was suggested to me long ago when I was having problems. I didn't loose anything other than cyano and hair algae when I was doing it. Good luck.

Back
Top Bottom